Resting Heart Rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I haven't checked mine for a long time. It is definitely a lot higher than it used to be, but it was super low then; probably TOO low (low 30s). I will try to remember to check it one morning before I get up. I think it is probably 55-60 bpm now.

At the other end of the range... It used to go close to 200 bpm when I was riding up very steep climbs as fast as I could. I think that would be more like 170-180 bpm now and it makes me feel ill if I push it that high so I try not to!

figbat

Slippery scientist
I’m 52, moderately fit, a little overweight but working on it, no medical conditions - I’m around the mid/high 50s. I’ve seen it as low as 35 when sleeping. My max when exercising rarely exceeds 170 these days.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
One night nearly 10 years ago my resting HR kept falling to less than 12 bpm every time I fell asleep causing me to pass out. I was subsequently diagnosed with Bradycardia (due to Sick Sinus Syndrome) and ended up with a Pacemaker. It took several visits to A&E over a 24 hour period before I was diagnosed. Being a fit cyclist all my vital signs kept recovering before I reached A&E and so the doctors were unable to observe any abnormalities. Eventually during a visit to A&E round about midnight, Mrs JtB dug her heels in until they admitted me to the "Acute Assessment Unit" for over night monitoring. As soon as the lights went out I passed out again while falling asleep and the ECG monitor showed my normal heart activity stopping for about 40 seconds with gaps of over 5 seconds between consecutive beats.

Later this year I should be receiving my first pacemaker change due to the battery reaching its end of life.

Drago

Legendary Member
Im 56. I've always had a low HR, as does my Dad who's never exercised.

Around 48ish at waking rest sat down watching TV or reading, low 40's asleep. It can dip into the high 30'smwhen sleeping, and on one occasion dropped to 35 when I had a stinky cold, but 40-41 one is about normal sleeping HR for me.

When out on a lively ride, or when running before my hip forced me to stop, I'd tickover at about 135, max HR about 161-162. I might get to 165 if I'm going nuts, but I'm getting a bit old to push myself to daft limits.

I've always exercised, so can't say how much an active lifestyle has contributed to this,but considering my Dad is much the same and does bugger all exercise I expectmits mainly genetic.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If my Garmin Venu is to be believed, my resting heart rate has averaged 47 over the past 7 days. Not bad for a 59 year old, but possiblity helped by talking early retirement at the end of February.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
62 bpm according to my £16 blood oximeter, a couple of minutes ago.

Attachments

• P1050655.JPG
    P1050655.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 6

berty bassett

Legendary Member
my resting is 42 , while sleeping it dips to 32 , dizzy 90% the time I stand up but been checked over . It is annoying every time I go for check up that the new nurse always ends up tapping the thing that goes on your finger then changing it , then calling someone else in even when I say it’s always like it !

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
43 (measured last night while sleeping by smart watch). Early 60s. Moderately fit but could lose a few pounds.

Max recorded last year (chest strap) was I think about 174 ish. Toiling up a very steep hill with steam coming out of my ears. I've not been doing much in the way of efforts like that recently.

I do my BP regularly and it fluctuates around about 120/80 which is at the high end of normal

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
My resting is mid-high 50s aged 51. Goes to mid 160s with hard exercise. Have paroxysmal lone AF though so can go doolally for no specific reason … no episodes recorded since diagnosis last Feb although a higher than normal for me alcohol consumption did send it super high…went to bed was mid 160s, and woke a few hours later the same :wacko: but went down quickly with a beta blocker

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Mine used to be in the mid to upper 60s until I found cycling as a hobby rather than an evening distraction. Then got it down to low 50s when awake.
From research at the time, I remember that there is a technical term for a resting heart rate below 60, but that doctors wouldn't normally take note unless it drops below 50. If your awake resting rate is normally less than 50, then make sure that your emergency contact knows about this, so if there is a problem and you are unconscious, they worry more about why you are rather than the low heart rate.

Top Bottom