Cycle Courier Navigation Help Pleeease!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enis Baysal

Hey :smile:

Well I've managed to land myself a job as a bike courier in Central London.

I have a basic understanding of London as ive lived next door in Essex for most of my life.

Until i find me feet with all the shortcuts and side roads of London I really want to purchase something I can mount on my handlebars and take a quick glance at when need be. Ive finally got my winter gear all sorted and my last priority was something helping me with navigation.

If any of you know of a useful gadget with a decent battery life then I would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks^^!

HorTs

Über Member
Garmin Edge 800 or the 810 or Tourer if you are willing to risk it (some people have had bad experience with the latter 2).

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Garmin Edge 800 or the 810 or Tourer if you are willing to risk it (some people have had bad experience with the latter 2).
Depends how much the OP wants to spend.
That's an expensive bit of kit to strap to a courier bike. And you would have to remove it at every drop off.
Maybe try something second hand?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
London_AZ_Mini.jpg

HorTs

Über Member
Depends how much the OP wants to spend.
That's an expensive bit of kit to strap to a courier bike. And you would have to remove it at every drop off.
Maybe try something second hand?

You can only buy the 800 2nd hand and the 1/4 turn mount makes it easy to remove and replace.

G3CWI

Veteran
Buy and download the Tomtom app on mobile phone and stick an earpiece in your ear. You will need an external battery pack for the phone.

The Garmin Edge Touring will not be much use for your application. I use one everyday btw.

G3CWI

Veteran
Its own navigation is a bit flaky. Great for following a pre-planned route though. I would only use its own navigation in an emergency. It plans crazy routes if left to its own devices.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I'd use a good Android mobile phone attached to my person with google voice recognition.

Get a battery pack to make it last longer, then you can navigate using the the maps app with voice guidance, just say "okay google navigate to x address" and it will do it for you.

Then upgrade to google glass when it comes out.

Top Bottom