Cycle frame identification.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oypolloy

I am trying to identify the make a bike frame that has just come my way. I intend to do it up myself. It has been powder coated in white so no info at all. It is a vintage frame with matching forks. Doesn't feel light enough for Reynolds or similar tubing. The fork has a lamp bracket brazing. The frame itself has seat stays that wrap around the top tube at the seat post area. It also has a half loop rear brake cable guide brazed on. Also has top tube brazed on pump mountings, top tube cable brazings The downtube has a triangular raised brazing to stop slippage of a band shifter. The bottom bracket has a gear cable guide on the top chainring side and another on the lower stay. Forks and rear drop outs have mudguard threaded holes. Do you have any ideas as to who the maker could be ? I would like to do a proper job with the correct decals so any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• SAM_1349.JPG
    SAM_1349.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 7
  • SAM_1350_Edited.JPG
    SAM_1350_Edited.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 7
  • SAM_1351.JPG
    SAM_1351.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 8
  • SAM_1352.JPG
    SAM_1352.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 8
  • SAM_1353.JPG
    SAM_1353.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 7
  • SAM_1354.JPG
    SAM_1354.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 7
  • SAM_1355.JPG
    SAM_1355.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 7

midlife

Guru
Welcome :smile:. Crespera lugs and wrapover seat stays mark it out as a Raleigh / Carlton 1967-1974. If the holes for the headbadge are horizontal then it's a Carlton, if there are 3 holes then it was badged a Raleigh. Pound to a penny it is a Carlton Corsa. Is there a number stamped on the bottom bracket or on the seat tube near the saddle or on the rear dropout.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
If the powder coating makes the frame number illegible or even invisible, you may find it on the steerer when you remove the fork, assuming this was masked when it was painted.

OP
OP
O

oypolloy

Welcome :smile:. Crespera lugs and wrapover seat stays mark it out as a Raleigh / Carlton 1967-1974. If the holes for the headbadge are horizontal then it's a Carlton, if there are 3 holes then it was badged a Raleigh. Pound to a penny it is a Carlton Corsa. Is there a number stamped on the bottom bracket or on the seat tube near the saddle or on the rear dropout.
Thanks for the reply. The chap who I bought it from said he couldn't remember but mentioned Falcon but maybe got confused with Carlton, they both have 'on' at the end. The holes for the head badge are 2 horizontal ones. I will check again for a frame number tomorrow, but it looks as if you are correct and for that I thank you. Regards

midlife

Guru
Nope, it's not a Falcon. The lugs are a patent Carlton design called Crespera but when Raleigh took over Carlton they appeared on their frames as well

OP
OP
O

oypolloy

ebay_description.png
If the powder coating makes the frame number illegible or even invisible, you may find it on the steerer when you remove the fork, assuming this was masked when it was painted.

I will have a look at the steerer tomorrow and see if there is a number on it. It looks as if it came with the frame so the number should be correct if it is there.

OP
OP
O

oypolloy

Nope, it's not a Falcon. The lugs are a patent Carlton design called Crespera but when Raleigh took over Carlton they appeared on their frames as well
The cut outs you have just showed of the underside of the bottom bracket are different on my frame, the underside of mine is smooth. But it seems that it is a Carlton.

OP
OP
O

oypolloy

Just Googled Carlton Corsa. From what I can see it is one. The lugs luck the same and it has the half loop brake cable guide on the seat stay. The gear cable runs on the top stay look the same as well. It looks like there was chrome on the forks and rear stays. Now I will have to paint it sympathetically in periodish colours but I won't have it chromed. I will now go on the hunt for correct transfers.

Top Bottom