Cycle friendly accommodation books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tclay4

Hi, we are fairly new to cycling and are trying not to be too ambitious. We are looking to do a couple of rides this spring in North Yorkshire or the east coast but we are struggling to find a book on Cycle friendly B & Bs or a decent route map. We have road bikes so not interested in off-road. We really need a few pubs who have a lock up facility for bikes and serve good food!! I have looked on Amazon thinking there might be a directory but couldn't see anything? Any help appreciated

mcr

Veteran
I'm not aware of any books covering this (it's a bit too esoteric a niche for publishers to be interested in - though have you tried local tourist information offices, who may issue brochures?). There's the CTC online listing of cycle-friendly accommodation - it's by no means comprehensive as a google of any area's b&bs will show, but a useful guide nonetheless. If googling, just look for the 'Cyclists Welcome' logo on individual websites.

As for a map - you can't go wrong with getting an OS 1:50,000 and making up your own route using the yellow roads. (If you're not interested in off-road, you'll want to avoid anything dreamt up by Sustrans.)

the snail

Guru
Another alternative is to buy a cheap road atlas and cut out the pages you need - cheaper than OS, and you can fold the pages, pop in a plastic bag and fix to the bike. The Sustans routes are worth a look, a lot of the routes are on road and help you avoid traffic etc.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I think the CTC might have a list of cycle friendly establishments but I'd not fret too much.

On the rare occasions that I have used hotels and B&B, I've had very courteous service and my bike was stored securely. I used the first B&B and hotel that I came across an all three instances.

As for routes look for Golden Eye maps or Sustrans maps. Sustrans maps are Marmite like - you'll love them or hate them.

You could use an online search tool like Trip Advisor to get an idea of how good a place is though you have to be aware that reviews are subjective and not quality assured.

robgul

Legendary Member
I think your question about being "cycle friendly" is probably unnecessary in today's economic climate .... ANY accommodation is likely to be "friendly" whatever mode of transport you arrive on ..... they need the business/money.

There are lots of online sites ... but watch out for where places REALLY are - especially in the more remote parts, and Scotland - somewhere listed as being at a place may well be 20 miles away - no problem in a car, more of an issue on a bike.

Rob

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if you're a CTC member then you can get the Cyclists Welcome list, but it's not all that..........

I'm sorry, but you're just going to have to ask them. Quite a few hotels, and not just the cheap ones, will simply say 'no', or tell you to lock the bike up outside.

Paladin - York

When I cycle out locally in North Yorkshire, if I don't stay at already known campsites or b&bs, then I usually google "accommodation" at wherever I intend to go. It seems to work. Alternatively, I contact the local Tourist Information Offices. Someone I know referred to www.innway.co.uk and while this guide is intended for walkers, the "inns" are located on roads in the North York Moors National Park and therefore open to all. I understand that the British Horse Society also produces an accommodation booklet but I have never seen a copy of this. This booklet can be obtained by phoning 01926 707712.

snorri

Legendary Member
Any help appreciated
I'm sure you are worrying unneccessarily, few places will not have a safe place to leave your bike.
It wouldn't be the first time I have selected accommodation after seeing the bike storage and have confirmed my wish to book in without bothering to accept the invitation to also inspect the bedroom.:smile:

robgul

Legendary Member
... to add to my earlier post .. if using budget hotels (e.g. Travelodge) don't even ask - check in and wheel the bike to the room ... never a problem (although some of the lifts mean standing the bike up on the back wheel!)

Rob

Top Bottom