Cycle Friendly Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I spend a lot of time in Europe- mostly Germany, but also France and Sweden. All these countries seem very cyclist-friendly; on a visit to some museums in a place called Cottbus in the former East Germany near the Polish border I stayed in a forest hotel where they were cycling-mad! Bikes for hire, marked trails from the front door... I was with the other half who doesn't do bikes, but I fell in love with it instantly and *must* go back for a cycling holiday!

Most German roads have a separate cycle track running alongside and if a cyclist collides with a pedestrian on an urban cycle track (usually a different-coloured part of the pavement) then the pedestrian is held to be at fault for being in his / her way.

Has anyone here gone over to Europe- particularly Germany- with a bike, and how was it?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Yep, i went over to Germany with a bike. Was nice. Smooth cycle lanes, relaxed. Still not sure if you have to use them, and what happens if you dont.
Did about a week in Germany over all, but it was just cycling on my folder. Roads were smooth aswell.
Only problem i had was a grumpy old lady that wouldnt stop being in the way on the bike lane. She was shouting to her grandchild on the bike infront for some reason, he was out the way, she was in the way.
Was a nice place to stay though, in the middle of a forest just outside of Berlin. Had to get into the showers early or all the hot water would go. Down in south Germany was nicer, warmer weather, nicer showers, better for cycling and the cycle tracks were even smoother.
When we were in a section of the 'Black Forest' it was hilly, loved that on my folder, used to sit down and spin up the hills, sometimes i needed to zig zag up them. Did my fastest ever speed coming down one aswell. But, the speed limit in the village was low, and even on the folder i would be doing over it. Had a police car coming the other way once, had to try and brake to the speed limit without making it look obviouse i was going fast. The roads were nice and smooth though, so it was nice to go fast.;)

Working in Norway at moment, nice smooth shared use paths and plenty of other cyclists about.

Niped out to the shops earlier today (in Tananger), put the cable lock on the bike. The other 2 bikes on the stand not secured at all. No locks at all, and both still there when I got back 10 minutes later. Can't see that happening in the UK somehow.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I live in Germany, right on one of the major bike routes as it happens. If you want to cycle in Germany try the Bikeline cycling guides, there's basically one for every well known route and a few for areas of which you will never have heard.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Back at college, many moons ago; I worked for a few months, mid term in Germany. I wasn't really into cycling then but I cycled to work as it was easy and the place seemed well laid out. I had no lock for the bike I'd borrowed but the owner wasn't bothered.

snorri

Legendary Member
Intelligenthamster said:
Cottbus in the former East Germany near the Polish border I stayed in a forest hotel Has anyone here gone over to Europe- particularly Germany- with a bike, and how was it?
Cottbus is on the Spree Radweg, the cycle route that runs between Ebersbach and Berlin. In 2003 I had a haircut in Cottbus, and parked my bike in the bedroom at the hostel. I can remember the railway tracks,-loads of them!:?:, but not much else.
Thanks for the memory.:laugh:

Top Bottom