cycle helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilkie

I hope this doesn't sound daft...whats the difference between a standard helmet and a road helmet?
Ive recently upgraded to a road bike should I be wearing a road helmet??

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i reckon the only difference will be aerodynamics... both will do the same job if they're both vented polystyrene with a 'yoghurt pot' shell.

vickster

Legendary Member
'Road' helmets don't usually have a visor on the front so your vision isn't impaired when your head is down and your bum is in the air. I don't know what a standard helmet is - MTB style with a peak/visor?

Wear one that fits comfortably and preferably meets the Snell standard (Specialized do, dk about others)

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
MTB helmet with easily removable visor could be a good option.

Fashion!

If you are after a helmet, then just look and see what is comfortable, fits will and feels right

Secondly where possible look at the standards it has passed, preferably look for a Snell certification as these helmets pass a stricter and tougher range of impact tests than other standards

If it only passes EN1078 avoid it!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
No-one gives a toss what helmet you wear. Just wear what you have, or don't and ride your bike!

:smile:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I assume the OP was asking if there was any technical difference, not asking for fashion advice...

Leodis

Veteran
Fashion!

If you are after a helmet, then just look and see what is comfortable, fits will and feels right

Secondly where possible look at the standards it has passed, preferably look for a Snell certification as these helmets pass a stricter and tougher range of impact tests than other standards

If it only passes EN1078 avoid it!

Since only specialized sell US standard helmets that limits the market somewhat.

vickster

Legendary Member
I guess it depends what is the most important thing for a helmet to deliver - aesthetics, ventilation, weight, brand, cost, availabilty, size of range, higher safety testing...I don't like Specialized as a brand but still wear one of their helmets as my personal safety is the reason I wear a helmet in the first place :smile:

If there is a difference, I couldn't care less. I probably use a mtn bike helmet by the sounds of it as it has a peak which is mighty useful in the rain for spec wearers. They'll all be built to the same standard so use the one you have or buy one that you like and that fits or don't wear one at all.

Specialized helmets do nothing for my head shape.

Which is why I placed the standards second, and fit / comfort as a priority

They'll all be built to the same standard so use the one you have or buy one that you like and that fits or don't wear one at all.

No they are not, each standard is diferet and there are helmets that will pass the pathetically weak EN1078, but not meet the most basic of US standards- turn up with an EN1078 helmet and you are not allowed to race!

Look at the stickers - CPSC, ANSI, and a host of others all beat the EN1078 hands down.

Top Bottom