Cycle jeans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
can anyone recommend a good brand of cycle specific jeans for a shortish commute (12 miles or so). I have looked at rapha and swrve...any that anyone can suggest.

I like a relaxed fit, light fabric, with specific cut for riding.

Cheers

Not Jeans, but I use the Craghoppers "Stretch Pro" trousers for this type of activity

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
12 miles each way? I'd be wearing some lycra, especially in summer.
On the road bike (2-3 days a week) I Lycra up and treat it as my sport, so sweaty and plenty of effort.... But Friday's are single speed day and my SS is geared for cruising not racing, so it's a gentle purr into work and home. I want to dress more casually for that and enjoy the sense of not training.

Also, it adds a different dimension, a change, something to mix the week up a bit.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I just can't cruise, something to do with the nature of the roads round here, I have to be giving it some welly.

Tim Hall

Swrve work for me too, but they are possible a bit heavy for a 12 mile trip, regardless of how cruisy you take it. Ideal for the fixie, urban(e) hipster, espresso sipping rider.

I would suggest the bargainicuous M&S Cycling Chino, but they don't do them any more. Much lighter material and only twelve of your earth pouunds.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I just can't cruise, something to do with the nature of the roads round here, I have to be giving it some welly.
I'm the same on the road bike, no matter how I try, I cant stop myself working hard...perhaps its some pavlovian response to lycra.

I need to totally shift mindsets if I want to chill.

No helmet, no Lycra, often not even a shower at the end...and plenty of time. My 12 mile commute can take well over an hour if I get in the right mindset.

If you ever want to get into it, I'd recommend a single speed and a short ride to a local coffee shop on a Sunday morning for a paper and a drink...its a wonderful thing, riding at under 10mph.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I'm the same on the road bike, no matter how I try, I cant stop myself working hard...perhaps its some pavlovian response to lycra.

I need to totally shift mindsets if I want to chill.

No helmet, no Lycra, often not even a shower at the end...and plenty of time. My 12 mile commute can take well over an hour if I get in the right mindset.

If you ever want to get into it, I'd recommend a single speed and a short ride to a local coffee shop on a Sunday morning for a paper and a drink...its a wonderful thing, riding at under 10mph.

I have a single but the BB is farked, perhaps I'll try and fix it.

adscrim

Veteran
I now have 4 pairs or vulpine summer trouser. They are light, stretchy and comfortable on the bike - I find them quite slim in the leg (generally a 32" waist and wearing a vulpine medium) but I like that. I've also got some Muxu jeans (from alwaysriding.co.uk) and think they're excellent. Again, I've gone for a slim leg but they do a regular fit jean too.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I have a real issue with fitting trousers in general, I have 32" waist but most pants are either too tight on my thighs or too baggy around my calves.

Top Bottom