Cycle lanes are dangerous - or is it the idiot that uses them that is dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some random statistics, with no scientific basis:

Last night, on my way home, I saw a few drivers using hand-held mobile phones. Pretty normal.

Then I came up behind a long line of traffic which I could pass in comfort using a quiet bus lane. I decided I would count how many vehicles I passed. Then i realised there was something more interesting I could count: The number of cars (not vans) with the driver and no passengers. In a row of about thirty to thirty-five vehicles, there were twenty four.

Relevance to this discussion? Well, as a side count, I looked at how many of those twenty four drivers were on a hand held mobile. The answer is three. One in eight.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I also agree about undertaking the lorries. Only takes a siren coming up behind, the lorries helpfully pull in (they had room to do that) and you're squished.

You can overtake them a lot more safely (and to be honest with a cycle lane that rubbish I'd have been overtaking all the way there).

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I was in London yesterday, walking over Westminster Bridge, and someone was cycling along whilst texting, or checking their email. What a lunatic, must have a death wish.

Top Bottom