Cycle lanes next to roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

medals

Just a quick question. Is it illegal to ride on the road when there is a designated cycle path running alongside it?

A very rude bus driver I encountered today seems to think it is. Before I fire off a complaint to the bus company, I need to get my facts right.

Many thanks in antis...

lit

No, it's definitely not.

Just a quick question. Is it illegal to ride on the road when there is a designated cycle path running alongside it?

Generally not - in the UK that is - although it seems in Germany if faced with a white-bicycle-in-a-blue-circle-sign you are meant to be in the cycle lane not the road. (I'm reading up for a forthcoming trip!)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
There was a proposal to change the law to require cyclist to use designated cycle path where they were available, but there was such great opposition from cycling groups it was dropped.

The Highway Code rule 63 states "Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white line (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer." My bold.

The statement that "they can make your journey safer" was written a moron who have never ridden a bicycle on the road.

OP
OP
medals

medals

There is no 'No Cycling' sign. It's this bit...
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&tab=wl

This bit of cycle lane only runs for about a 1/4 mile and then it just stops. For those in Coventry it's the bit along Kenilworth road to Coat of Arms Bridge road. I don't use it 'cos of the debris that's usually on it and because it's so short. I use the lane from Warwick Uni to the Kenilworth Road junction. That's about 1 1/2 miles long and it's a good surface, so fair enough I use that. But not this stupid bit of pathway. I think it does appear in that list of pointless CLs 'cos it actually runs through a bus stop.

Norm

There was a proposal to change the law to require cyclist to use designated cycle path where they were available, but there was such great opposition from cycling groups it was dropped.
[pedant mode]
I think the discussion (in 2006?) was around changing the wording in the Highway Code rather than changing the law.
[/pedant mode]

OP
OP
medals

medals

Sorry, link probably didn't work.

I'm convinced now that I am within my rights.
If this tw*t can get mad enough to run me close, do a long blast on his horn a further mile down the road when he caught up with me again and give the finger while shouting something, probably not very nice, to someone just cycling along minding thier own business. Then maybe he needs some sort of anger management and perhaps not be in charge of a bus. I'll file the complaint first thing tomorrow.

The statement that "they can make your journey safer" was written a moron who have never ridden a bicycle on the road.

I think by the way the OP phrased the question that he meant segregated or shared use cycle paths that run on the pavement. That is to say the ones where the council has just painted a white line and a bike on the pavement and expects you to share it with pedestrians, street furniture, parked cars and give way at every single side street.

But the answer is still the same. In the UK you have no obligation to ride in a cycle lane, whatever kind it is, and you can ride on any road you wish (apart from motorways obviously).

Any motorist who honks or shouts at you for not being in a cycle is simply impatient and ignorant of the law.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I think you mean here (link didn't work above)

I don't like the design of that cycle lane right up against a barrier and that road looks plenty wide enough for the bus, to pass, don't know what his/her problem was really

Never a truer word said in jest, I wish they never bothered with them at the side of main roads, they are too slow, dangerous, and a haven for punctures,
but your not alone, I get it every few weeks from car and bus drivers but I give them a polite wave with 2 fingers !

OP
OP
medals

medals

Yep, that's the link to the road I was on, thanks for putting it up mcshroom.

Thanks for all your input on this. I'm getting fed up of the grief I'm getting from busdrivers lately. It always seems to be around this area too. Snotty e-mail on way!

There is no 'No Cycling' sign. It's this bit...
http://maps.google.c...ie=UTF-8&tab=wl

This bit of cycle lane only runs for about a 1/4 mile and then it just stops. For those in Coventry it's the bit along Kenilworth road to Coat of Arms Bridge road. I don't use it 'cos of the debris that's usually on it and because it's so short. I use the lane from Warwick Uni to the Kenilworth Road junction. That's about 1 1/2 miles long and it's a good surface, so fair enough I use that. But not this stupid bit of pathway. I think it does appear in that list of pointless CLs 'cos it actually runs through a bus stop.

As far as I'm aware any 'No Cycling' sign in England is powerless and non enforceable (the link doesn't work by the way). In Scotland there has been a few special by laws created, ie its illegal to cycle on the main vehicle deck of the Forth Road Bridge, you have to use the cycle path. The Edinburgh Bypass (A720) the A90 and parts of the A68 have similar bylaws.

Top Bottom