Cycle lanes what do we think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
For true cycle path comedy, Birmingham must be up near the top. Brand new road (Selly park New Road). There is a nice slalom down the cycle path

poles.jpg

And one for the thin cyclist

welcome.jpg

What a complete wast of money, and totally indicative of my point. Non-cyclists are pulling the punches, we need that changing for the benefit of all responsible road-users

I can't honestly think of a cycle lane locally that is there to speed me and my fellow pedallers conveniently and safely between our choice of destinations.
They do however attempt to get those annoying cyclists out of the way and off the road so as not to slow down any drivers.

This is the truth people. Look at above pictures - they ain't for our benefit.

byegad

Legendary Member
They are a total waste of resources and give the impression to other road users that we shouldn't be on the road. Scrap 'em all I say.

I've yet to see a segregated one with priority over other vehicles at junctions and until that becomes the norm they are also damn dangerous and slow. I'm not a fast rider but why would I want to get off a main road where I have priority over side roads and ride a path that gives way to everything crossing it, including private drives to houses and makes me look back nearly 180 degrees to check for left turning traffic coming from behind at every one of these? Then there's the obstacle like a tree or road sign in exactly the right place on the track to kill you. It makes me wonder what sort of idiot decided to lay them out like this.

On road ones tend to disappear just where a bit of protection from traffic is needed, or put you into the main traffic lane just where there is little enough room anyway at a pinch point. I see them as an almost criminal waste of money.

gavintc

Guru
I am afraid that unless I know where it is going I will avoid cycle paths. I am uncertain who is advising councils on where and how the paths should be installed, but I get a sense that most of is sheer tokenism - 'we have spent x% of our road budget on cyclists aren't we good'.

In my opinion most cycling infrastructure is an insult and should be removed.
It's obvious that some lanes are placed as a means of narrowing the road to slow other vehicles, or for some statistical purpose.
I cycle to go from one place to another. I can't do that if I am told to get off and walk at 15 foot intervals for every driveway, duck under signs, bunny hop fences, squeeze through constrictor bars or swerve around glass or garbage.

Get rid of the lot and put someone in charge who can think from the point of view of the cyclist, not from the idea of political convenience.
It's obvious we are second on the consideration list at the moment.

Sandra6

Veteran
I like the cycle path I use along the river, it's a traffic free shared use path. You can't go massively fast because of dog walkers but it's a nice run and fantastic for family cycling. We also have one that was put in alongside a new by-pass that's quite nice to cycle, but I think if I were more serious about my speed I'd stick on the road to avoid crossing at roundabouts and junctions.
We have a couple of pavement cycle paths which aren't too bad as they're well marked, but there are a couple of others that go up and down on and off the road which is just stupid, so I just cycle on the road.
Most of the time I'm cycling on the road and it's "ooh cycle path. Where'd it go? Oh there you are cycle path. oh gone again"

OP
OP
Jodee1kenobi

Jodee1kenobi

Guys thanks for all your opinions! I have to say my local area is rather pants where cycle lanes are concerned and the local cycle forum tend not to reply to emails :banghead: so I can't even put my tuppence worth in ^_^

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I will use a cycle path or lane if it helps me, and sometimes it can be great in a city to escape to a bit of quiet away from the roads and bustle of city life. However there are some badly placed cycle lanes, the one that springs to mind is to the left hand side of a left hand turning lane. I never ever use it whether I'm turning left or going straight on.

I don't think inexperienced cyclists (or some planners) recognise the difference between a good and a bad cycle lane/path. And yet it is one of the things that new cyclists want (been there myself). Yet also this week I have been pleased to see youngish children (10-12 ish) out riding on main roads (A38) in Bristol without an adult and riding confidently who were managing perfectly well without a cycle lane.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
On the cycle track between Dumbarton and Bowling, I have been known to get in some early morning speed training. This is one of the bits that Pat 5mph recommends, and although the particular section in question here is only about 4 miles long, it is a great place to just zoom back and forwards on! :becool:

Oh and you don't know where cycletracks go? Why, get one of the Sustrans maps, it isn't difficult!

Arch

Married to Night Train
On the cycle track between Dumbarton and Bowling, I have been known to get in some early morning speed training. This is one of the bits that Pat 5mph recommends, and although the particular section in question here is only about 4 miles long, it is a great place to just zoom back and forwards on! :becool:

Oh and you don't know where cycletracks go? Why, get one of the Sustrans maps, it isn't difficult!

Ah, but having a map, and actually being on the cycletrack isn't necessarily the same. The map may show where it goes (or where they'd like it to go if it ever gets finished), but won't show the stupid barriers, or many of the places where you end up having to cross a busy road with no controlled crossing. It's won't show where the surface is rubbish - I think they sometimes indicate the worst hazards, but you certainly can't rely on a map to give you a good idea of what to expect.

Of course, if the cycletracks were actually all good, it wouldn't matter, because issues like barriers and gravel and steps (yes, steps, on cycleroutes), wouldn't be there.

There are some great tracks and paths. Riding the riverside paths in York is lovely, (when they aren;t underwater), and unless you're in a hurry, much nicer than either of the parallel roads.

Also, the route over the viaduct in to Stamford Bridge is good, except for the barrier where you can't get regular handlebars through without stopping and twisting the front wheel. But to get to it, you either use country lanes, and end up having to cross a very busy A road at a point with no central reservation, or you go the Sustrans way, and do a mile or so on seasonal singletrack mud path down the side of a field. That's the problem, not exactly knowing where it goes, but whether it's actually rideable comfortably!

I have given up on Sustrans routes - they seem to really not be the best route, the signs run out if you are going by their directions rather than a map. Basinstoke to Reading one is 24 miles and loops all over the place. A better direct route still on back lanes can do it in about 18 miles.

Dedicated cycle paths around here are no more than odd little bits that they have put in where they wanted to narrow off a wide road. They drive me mad they have the cycle route having to give way to side roads while the main road of course has priority. Seem to have been designed and completely set up by someone who not only has never been on a bike but wants to do all they can to discourage cycling.
Only decent bit of cycle lane in town stops just as you get to a roundabout that crosses a dual carrageway on the main ring-road.

Even the Tarka trail has about a dozen gates on it. How do they manage to make thousands of miles of road for cars without gates but cannot put in 30 miles of cycle path without blocking it up and making it more difficult?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Even the Tarka trail has about a dozen gates on it. How do they manage to make thousands of miles of road for cars without gates but cannot put in 30 miles of cycle path without blocking it up and making it more difficult?

The Avenue Verte goes from the edge of Dieppe to Forges-les-Eaux (possibly further now, it's planned all the way to Paris, I last rode it a few years ago). 30 miles of ex-railway. I think I remember a bit of a chicane at the beginning on the edge of Dieppe, and then nothing to impede progress until the other end. There are many places where little roads cross the path, what would have been level crossings, and at each there is a gate across the middle part of the path, with a gap either side big enough to allow riding through easily. The gate warns you of the road so you are ready to give way, but if there's nothing coming, you just carry on.

Given that we were all on recumbent trikes, our smooth progress is even more remarkable!

GrasB

Veteran
Never found one in the UK that is suitable for going at my preferred speed & effort level. Outside the UK I've found less than a handful in the countries which are renowned for their good cycling infrastructure.

Top Bottom