Cycle navigation with audio directions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So the other day, I put a destination into Google maps on my phone, and the audio directions came through great on my bluetooth headphones. Very handy.

What doesn't work so well is following a defined route - Google will immediately recalculate with its own idea of what's best. Well guess what - I sometimes want to follow a longer route.

What I could do is add more interim destinations, to force it to follow the way I want, but I was wondering if anyone else had used a cycle nav app with audio that works the way I want?

I use google maps on my pc and chrome to create a route (adding in additional destinations as required) and then use chrome to phone to send my custom route to my phone (android).

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I use google maps on my pc and chrome to create a route (adding in additional destinations as required) and then use chrome to phone to send my custom route to my phone (android).

That will work, as long as you specifically add in additional destinations. If you edit the route just by dragging the line, as soon as you start cycling it will recalculate the fastest route to the destination, losing all of the custom routing.

jefmcg

Guru
Osmand. Plot your route as a GPX and the app will follow it. I used it constantly

Only caveat is that sometimes it doesn't always describe the road correctly, so what looks to you like a left fork it sees as straight ahead or vice versa. But it will tell you soon enough if you have left the route. I just look at the screen briefly at ambiguous junctions.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Osmand. Plot your route as a GPX and the app will follow it. I used it constantly

Only caveat is that sometimes it doesn't always describe the road correctly, so what looks to you like a left fork it sees as straight ahead or vice versa. But it will tell you soon enough if you have left the route. I just look at the screen briefly at ambiguous junctions.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Top Bottom