cycle oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I use a proper chain lube for the chain, but 3-in-1 for most other 'bits' - pivots in gears & brakes, running down cable housings etc.

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town

+1 on the white spirit for cleaning chains. Glad I got a power link put in my chain, makes life so much easier. I use reasonable but not expensive lube for that chain as it's on my smart bike but I quite happily use some form of 3-in-one wanky oil for my all weather commuter MTB and it's been going strong for 6 years without any chaincog mishaps. Def a rip-off to buy those tiny bottles of lube for loads of cash!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
trustysteed said:
Def a rip-off to buy those tiny bottles of lube for loads of cash!
Wrong. A £5 bottle of prolink gold lasts me a year, and it *definitely* makes the bike run better. Best fiver you can spend on your cycling, in my view.

Graham O

I've used a variety of lubricants from "3 in 1" to wax type, but where to apply them? I appreciate that the thinner ones can get inside the chain and onto the pins, but do the thicker ones? The wax one I used, left a greenish residue on the chain. Where should I apply this? Just to the rollers or to the side plates as well? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I did once try some solid motorbike chain lube. Heat up the tin and dunk the chain in. It used to work great on the motorbike, but having tried it in the winter, with low temperatures, it was like cycling in treacle. Not recommended.

SimonC

lukesdad said:
How much are you guys spending on all this stuff It sounds like a chemists Lab.

I think some posters on here have a mania for cleanin and lubing their chains and cassettes.:cry: None of its going to make you go faster:smile:

Bit of 3 in 1 or whatever squirted on when it looks a bit dry, works its way by itself into pins and plates. No need to take yer chain off for a soak in degreaser.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
lukesdad said:
How much are you guys spending on all this stuff It sounds like a chemists Lab.

Finish Line Pro Road costs £7 or so.

Still on the same bottle I bought sometime last year.

Weldtite bike oil costs a couple of quid at most, loads left in that bottle.

The cost of decent lubricants is trivial compared to what gets spent on tyres, brake blocks, chains and other consumables (imo).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
SimonC said:
I think some posters on here have a mania for cleanin and lubing their chains and cassettes.:cry: None of its going to make you go faster:smile:
Cassettes and chainrings can be bloody expensive.

It's not difficult or expensive to try and make them last a bit longer.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One thing I underestimated before reading posts on here is the difference between the kind of basic 7 speed setup I ride and today's 9/10 speeds, with their thinner construction and finer tolerances. I'm with John the Monkey. I use Prolink Gold, putting some on maybe once a month, more if there's been rain, instantly if I see any spots of rust on the chain. A £5 bottle lasts a year, easy, and my chains, chainsets and freewheels last forever. Apart from that, an occasional drip of 3-in-1 here and there, and bob's yer uncle. (A small bottle of 3-in-1 lasts a decade, give or take.)

SimonC

John the Monkey said:
Cassettes and chainrings can be bloody expensive.

It's not difficult or expensive to try and make them last a bit longer.

Thats true, but does degreasing all the lube out of the chain, and then putting it back on again make them last longer. What about the time it takes for the lube to get back between the plates, pins etc. What's the wear like then?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
SimonC said:
Thats true, but does degreasing all the lube out of the chain, and then putting it back on again make them last longer. What about the time it takes for the lube to get back between the plates, pins etc. What's the wear like then?

Can't comment, I'm a true believer in the Mickle method™.

Top Bottom