Cycle Parking charges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
H

historyman

Catrike UK said:
We have a retail park near here that has the cycle parking well away from the building on the edge of the carpark, despite having a huge area in front of the building, so the cycle parking is in an ideal place for thieves to work on locks undisturbed.
- sounds just like my workplace. Of course the cars are allowed nearer the building.

Jaded

historyman said:
OK, fair point, but I said it was a fantasy idea, not a serious proposition. And well-aimed satire can, on occasion, improve understanding.

And as I said, I know the developers and I'm happy to talk to them, as a cyclist, on behalf of all cyclists in Liverpool (and other places that Grosvenor, or any other shopping centre developers for that matter, have centres).

From what I know of the industry a personal approach will work better than a well-aimed satire.

There are more way to skin a cat than to tie it to some railings.

Point taken Jaded – you are right of course – but I’ve always found the “what should I put on the fence” website simply amusing rather than a serious attempt at trying to change anything. Debate & education is defiantly the right way forward in most situations!

domtyler

Über Member
I would have thought that shopping centres would prefer to have people arrive in large cars than on push bikes. Can't fill up the boot of a push bike with much shopping can you?

Jaded

domtyler said:
I would have thought that shopping centres would prefer to have people arrive in large cars than on push bikes. Can't fill up the boot of a push bike with much shopping can you?

Not in town centres. Large numbers of people arrive by public transport. Car borne shoppers are often in the minority.

However car parking is always charged for so there is a precedent in providing charged for parking for private transport.

On the other hand there is a very large free cycle park in Cambridge.

see here

Brains

Legendary Member
A number of years ago there was building in St John St in the City which had railing protecting a basement area.

The building had a number of companies in it and therefore was used by couriers all day every day, who chained their bikes to the railings, not having the option to go anywhere else, it did no harm to the railings are they were horizontal unpainted pipes

A sign was then put up saying words to the effect of " bikes chained to these railings will be removed"

One Monday we came back to work to find the railings had been removed for the full length of the building and the basement was a 3 meter deep hole on the edge of the pavement.

Apparently a courier had had his bike removed. Not unreasonibly took major exception to them cutting through his lock and stealing his bike, so he had done the same thing to their railings.

It must have cost the building management company tens of thousands to board up the front, tender, design and fit new railings, and the new railings were thick metal planks that you could not get a bike lock around and blocked all the light to the basement.

The companies in the basement moved out over time and the basement area was turned into storage as it was too dark to work down there.

I wonder what the overall cost was for a stupid 'no bike parking' sign. Taken over a decade or so I would imagine a seven figure sum.

RedBike

A few years ago I got thrown out of one of the Liverpool shopping centers (metro?) for wheeling my bike through it.

Strangely i've never been back since.

LLB

Jaded said:
Not in town centres. Large numbers of people arrive by public transport. Car borne shoppers are often in the minority.

However car parking is always charged for so there is a precedent in providing charged for parking for private transport.

On the other hand there is a very large free cycle park in Cambridge.

see here

Did you say you were involved in one of the arcades in Cheltenham Jaded?

Top Bottom