Cycle rage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eoin Rua

That Contador, always upsetting people and then taking advantage of s skipped chain. :tongue:

Haha :biggrin:

joebingo

Über Member
No one has ever physically run into the back of me at the lights/junctions. I think I'd have a few choice words.

I hate that plonk-yerself-ahead attitude too. They've just seen me riding at around just under 30 passing others and themselves,so why plonk themselves there in front. Thankfully not as many cyclists her as in London so thats rare. But it is frustrating and comical in equal measures.

Oh it's great. Between that and RLJ'rs on my commute I get probably about 6 times as many scalps because of it...

Matthames

Über Member
on some routes the RLJs may genuinely not know that bikes have to stop at red lights

If that is the case then it is very worrying indeed. Something that proper cycle training can remedy, however David 'the hatchet' Cameron and co are possibly looking to axe Bikeability, which would make things very worrying indeed.

davefb

Guru
on some routes the RLJs may genuinely not know that bikes have to stop at red lights

I think a lot of the publicity around RLJ has the 'detrimental' effect that cyclists think it's 'okay'.

I dont see that many in manchester, personally I probably have one light i'll 'avoid', ( though i've swapped my route round, so now i use it correctly ;) )....(tbh I often like the nice rest ;) )

however, in the press all the time is about how all cyclists RLJ, I think that imparts the 'idea' that its okay somehow to do it, which makes more people RLJ (etc) ?

Molecule Man

Recently, on the Old Kent Road too as it happens, I passed another cyclist and at the next set of lights he pulled up alongside me, I thought he would jump the lights (late teenage male, cheap bike, a bit of an aggressive swagger), but he stopped and then when the lights changed he said to me in a rather surprised/proud kind of way that it was in the first time he'd stopped at a red light.

I've never had anyone run into the back of me, but I have had a couple of other cyclists shouting abuse at me for stopping at pedestrian crossings in front of them. Plenty of motorists have taken offence at me stopping at red lights or zebra crossings in front of them when they want to just carry on. In fact, one of them even said to me apparently in all seriousness that bikes aren't meant to stop at zebra crossings.

aoj

********Rant warning********

Old Kent Road this morning.

I come to a slow stop at the lights, chap behind ploughs into the back of me.

He untangles himself, and rides on...across the red (scattering peds) then to my disgust, turns and offers a mouth full to me...for stopping at the red!!

Light turns green (after a frustratingly long time) and I catch up with the guy (Wild horses couldn’t have stopped me at this point) and I have to admit that I loose it with him. I wasn’t angry he rammed into me, nor that he failed to apologise. I wasn't even angry that he chose to then run the red. But I was furious that he turned and mouthed off to me, then pedalled like mad to try and loose me...total coward.

sigh, glad I got that off my chest.

sorry for the rant.

Maybe one these would help?

http://lucidbrake.com/

Now the dark mornings and nights are soon to be on us.

iZaP

Über Member
People running into the back of you... happened to me once and like you I was the one blamed as I stopped for red. What is it with these imbeciles? Pay attention to the road ahead you ferknuts!

Today there where a couple of cyclists following me in Deptford, light tuned red. I got there first, Mr "all the gear and no idea" decided to go round and stop in front on me, followed by Mrs "hi viz commuting uniform" who decided to do the same and nearly ran into him whilst blocking me in the process. As the the light turned green, who was first out of the blocks and away? yeah me, bloody dopes.

lmao....had a laugh at this.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Maybe one these would help?

http://lucidbrake.com/

Now the dark mornings and nights are soon to be on us.

I have seen these before but thought no more about it due to two reasons...

1, they seem to operate on a rocker switch that detects deceleration by means of a ballbearing/contact falling forward (or something of that ilk). This seems really prone to going off too late and also too often for the wrong reason, like when the bike tilts forward suddenly (speed humps)

2. my lights flash already and I doubt the time it takes a rider behind to differentiate between flashing lights and a bicycle brake light flashing on will give me much advantage.

iendicott

RLJ makes me :angry:
I stop at lights because

a) It could be potentially dangerous
b) Illegal to jump them

This however does not concern one of my fellow members of the local cycling club as he just rode through a red light along with another fellow member. We I caught one of them up he looked perplexed as I shouted "Jumping red lights give cyclist a bad name"

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
RLJ makes me :angry:
I stop at lights because

a) It could be potentially dangerous
b) Illegal to jump them

This however does not concern one of my fellow members of the local cycling club as he just rode through a red light along with another fellow member. We I caught one of them up he looked perplexed as I shouted "Jumping red lights HAS GIVEN cyclistS a bad name"

FTFY

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I have seen these before but thought no more about it due to two reasons...

1, they seem to operate on a rocker switch that detects deceleration by means of a ballbearing/contact falling forward (or something of that ilk). This seems really prone to going off too late and also too often for the wrong reason, like when the bike tilts forward suddenly (speed humps)

2. my lights flash already and I doubt the time it takes a rider behind to differentiate between flashing lights and a bicycle brake light flashing on will give me much advantage.

I was thinking that a decent brake light would be cool on me bike, but now you've put it like that it does seem a bit daft how its designed.

potsy

Rambler
2x incorrect use of "loose" in OP

I like the fact you've given him time to calm down before you pointed that out
biggrin.gif

JJ I love reading your posts most of the time,some great stuff has been posted by your good self,but I have a request-could you please change the font/size of your typeface as trying to read it on a 10 inch netbook is a right pain-cheers
thumbsup.png

Top Bottom