Cycle route from Dartford?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The fnrttc whitstable ride goes right past your front door.
The problem you have is that the immediate roads around the hotel are all either dual carriageway or the M25.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Rainham marshes is lovely and close but the wrong side of the river and hard to get across without a car.
Has the Dartford tunnel option disappeared? Last time I was out that way I rolled up to a little office on the south side and they stuck the bike on the back of a 4x4 and drove me through for free. (They then took me round a series of roundabouts so that when they dropped me off I no longer had any idea which way was north or south but, hey, it was free.)

vickster

Legendary Member
Has the Dartford tunnel option disappeared? Last time I was out that way I rolled up to a little office on the south side and they stuck the bike on the back of a 4x4 and drove me through for free. (They then took me round a series of roundabouts so that when they dropped me off I no longer had any idea which way was north or south but, hey, it was free.)
It's now £10 return to go through tunnel/cross back across bridge :ohmy:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's now £10 return to go through tunnel/cross back across bridge :ohmy:
Bleeding heck, will they ever sort out river crossings east of Tower Bridge? Only today I got a TfL weekend traffic email advising ''road users'' to use the Blackwall Tunnel during the Woolwich Ferry strike. I thought cyclists were road users!

vickster

Legendary Member
Bleeding heck, will they ever sort out river crossings east of Tower Bridge? Only today I got a TfL weekend traffic email advising ''road users'' to use the Blackwall Tunnel during the Woolwich Ferry strike. I thought cyclists were road users!
That's in a car. You can't go by bike. Nor would you want to imo

Sharky

Guru
Yeah, that looks good. I was going to say I could move my hotel to Bexleyheath, but I think I'm closer to that from Dartford. Thanks for the tip.
Have a look at Brands Hatch Place and the Rising Sun, both at Fawkham and about 4 miles south of Dartford.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Cyclists can use the woolwich tunnel, so not really a problem.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Bikes are still free to go across the Dartford Crossing. You need to check the hours as they are getting a bit sneaky in having a couple of periods when there is no service (call me cynical but I believe it's to cut the number of users to that they can eventually say it's not viable). All you do is ring from a little phone at an office either side of the crossing.

If you're taking your own bike, Dartford to Erith is nowt of a commute although you're unlikely to see a lot of scenery. For a leisure ride, I'd count Whitstable as easily reachable (around 45 miles) or if that's too far, go out on to the Hoo Peninsular there's a really nice pub (Horseshoe and Castle) just past Jools Holland's castle. Best steak and cheese sandwich I've had outside of New York (but it was a couple of years ago)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm working in Erith, but wasn't sure it was possible to cycle to and from work. I think I'm only down for the week, but this could easily grow. I'm not a fan of spending hours at a time in a car so plan to fly down and hire a car at the airport. I've never looked into it, but assume that it would just be a total pain to try and take a bike with me.
Staying in Dartford and working in erith. Could mean a trip to Whitstable along the Thames, very flat and not too challenging. Could you consider taking a room at a premier inn close to erith, say Bexleyheath and riding to and from work with ease. There is a Marriot thingy at the top of gravel hill in Bexleyheath with a pool and close to cinema, shops etc....probably not too spendy either.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Staying in Dartford and working in erith. Could mean a trip to Whitstable along the Thames, very flat and not too challenging. Could you consider taking a room at a premier inn close to erith, say Bexleyheath and riding to and from work with ease. There is a Marriot thingy at the top of gravel hill in Bexleyheath with a pool and close to cinema, shops etc....probably not too spendy either.
This might be the way to go next time I'm in town. This time I'm stuck in the hotel doing paperwork. Weather's not really playing ball anyway, and that dual carriageway is enough to put anybody of.

Top Bottom