1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycle route over the Severn

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by pw2389, 15 Sep 2007.

1. pw2389

pw2389 New Member

I seem to recall from earlier messages that there is a cycle path/route on one of the Severn bridges, obviating the need to go round via Gloucester.

Is it on the old or the new Severn Bridge?

Paul

2. Lardyboy

Lardyboy New Member

I could be, and I'm probably wrong, but I believe both bridges have cycle paths over them. I'm sure I saw someone cycling over the new bridge last year and I've definitely seen cyclists on the old bridge.

3. redfox

redfox New Member

I cycled over the old bridge on my end to end.

4. P.H

P.H Über Member

The old bridge, M48, has wide cycle paths on both sides, it's fun to cross and there's plenty of room to stop and enjoy the views.. There's no cycling permitted on the second bridge, M4.
    If you like bridges, you can do the Clifton, Severn and Newport transporter in a couple of hours.

5. vernon

vernon Harder than Ronnie Pickering

It's the old bridge. The cycle paths are the maintenance roads which are lower than the road deck. The first time I crossed the Severn road bridge the cycle path took me over the top of the toll booths. Having crossed the bridge a further two times I've never been directed over the toll booths again.

Discovering that there was a cycle route over the old Severn bridge made a big difference to my LEJOG plans the first time I did it.

6. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Disappointly though, you can no longer stop for a coffee by the bridge, the services at Aust, the ones at the Bristol end of the old bridge are now some private conference centre or other. It's a shame, there was a great view accross the bridge:sad:

7. The services at the end of the old Severn Bridge (which as others have said, is the one you can cycle across) are still there, there's just not a view of the bridge from them any more. But there's nothing to stop you buying a coffee (if you can afford it) and sitting on the wall overlooking the river with it.
    I overnighted in the lorry at Severn Bridge Services a few years ago and was delighted to find I could walk over the bridge. I ended up walking all the way into Chepstow, had a beer and then walked back again. It's quite scary on the bridge when a lorry goes past, and it's a looooong way down!

8. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I went to Aust services about 3 weeks ago on the way to the Wye Valley. Just after the turning for the BP station and the Travelodge there is now a large barrier saying PRIVATE PROPERTY, and a sign proclaiming the whole lot to be a technology centre and meeting facility!! There may be some services there, but they are not the ones with the magnificent views that always meant we were going on holiday back in the '70s:sad:

9. P.H

P.H Über Member

Aust services closed at least a couple of years ago, like Maggot I have childhood memories of stopping there and enjoying the views.
    It has been replaced by the inappropriately named Severn View services, which have no view! Last time I was there it had a Little Chef and a Burger King.
    Any recommendations for a decent café in the area?

10. vbc

vbc Guest

Although you can cycle on both sides of the old Severn Bridge, the easiest way for access and for cleanliness is on the eastern (Gloucester) side.

11. vernon

I don't recall every being given a choice of side. My first S-N crossing was directed over the toll booths and onto the western side. My second S-N crossing was on the eastern side. My N-S crossing was also on the eastern side.

It all depends on how the service roads are being used I think.

12. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

The path is a b*gger to find! If you're heading out from Bristol, you need to turn left off the dual-carriageway from Avonmouth, just before the main road junction. Easy to miss.

13. vernon

Have the signs been stolen?

I don't recall having problems finding the entry points for my three crossings. - Two of them from the Bristol side.

The Erskine Bridge was more problematic.

14. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

Guess it depends which way you're coming from. The sustrans route was signed, but took you back towards Bristol. Didn't have a problem with the Erskine bridge, but that's because a jogger stopped to tell us about the cycle path - I didn't know there was one!

15. andrew_s

andrew_s Veteran

That takes you onto the downstream path.
    To get to the upstream (Gloucester side) path, carry on a bit to the main roundabout below the motorway, and make like you are heading to the services. The cycletrack is on your left immediately you leave the roundabout.
    The bridge over the tollbooths connects the downstream path with the services, between the petrol and the conference centre place. There are steps at the services end, and no ready access to the upstream path.
    If you use the downstream path, you have to duck underneath the motorway at the Chepstow end. You can then either continue into the Bulwark housing estate, or climb back to the upstream path.
    The upstream path continues along the NE edge of the A466 as far as the A466/A48 roundabout. There is access into the Bulwark estate at several points.