cycle routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

I know the quickest route for me to commute is probably down the local A road but I would prefer to be a bit more countrified and I am struggling to find a route which is not much further but tons more pleasant. Are there any good equivalents to multimap etc for cyclists that include off road routes?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
IMHO nothing beats exploring. Its what your bike's for.:angry:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I used the TFL route planner to get from Cranham to Tottenham. It took me all round Becontree and Seven Kings to Walthamstow and across the Lea to Tottenham. I thought it was a round the houses route. It was just under 19.5 miles. I went back more or less the way I would drive - A12/A127 which I looks more direct. It was about half a mile further and not nearly as flat. (apart from unavoidable hills).
So don't trust main roads as being the shortest or easiest. They are designed for the cheapest route - cars don't care if there is a lot of hills or an extra couple of miles.

I also passed a couple of petrol stations 2p cheaper than my local Tesco. :angry:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Try a good old-fashioned paper OS map. The pink-cover, 1:50,000 ones are good for planning local routes and have enough detail to find bridleways, old railway lines and the like.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Multimap used to be really good online but they've trashed the site now. OS landrangers are good. Usually there will be many different routes to get somewhere, the restrictions usually being pinch points such as rivers, motorways, A roads you wish to avoid where there will be restricted choice. Other than that getting out there and exploring and seeing what you like really.

OP
OP
W

Willow

OMG I'm going to have to read maps, I am useless at that will need a microchip in me so I can be found! But instead of playing tennis this am (my day off)going to get some of the stuff done I was planning to do Sat then Sat when boys are with their dad going off on the bike exploring will try and get map between now and then - dry weather required on the day or the inspiration will be lost.

Tetedelacourse

Alternatively, post roughly where you're trying to get from and to and someone here may have a good suggestion. Happens a lot here cos it's largely a friendly place I suppose.

It's understandable if you don't want to post that sort of detail though.

Tetedelacourse said:
Alternatively, post roughly where you're trying to get from and to and someone here may have a good suggestion. Happens a lot here cos it's largely a friendly place I suppose.

BTW your tip about using the Craigbrae Farm/ Milton Road to A8000 and using it instead of going via Dalmeny/ South Queensferry was spot on thanks ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:

Be careful doing this, Cycle Chats membership encompasses some of the internets most prolific prowlers, flashers and stalkers! :laugh::biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
suzi said:
OMG I'm going to have to read maps, I am useless at that will need a microchip in me so I can be found!

I'd try and cultivate a more positive attitude to maps. I think there are very few people who really can't read a map. You just have to learn how to do it. I'm not talking about taking bearings with a compass, just knowing what you are looking at on the map and how it relates to where you are.

It can help if you have a map case or barbag with map holder on the bars, so you can look at the map and trace your route as you ride. Just get used to the various symbols and what they mean, and it's easy. I find patches of woodland are a good indicator in open country, and churches and such like are good in villages and towns. Things you can see from some way off help you know where you are in good time.

Landrangers are very good, and I find them very clear to look at. Perhaps get your local one, and then practise tracing the routes you know well on it, visualising the route to see how it relates to the map. Other than that, just go out for a pootle and 'get lost', like you say, explore, with no purpose in mind other than getting used to the map.

Once you're familiar with the symbols and such like, you can go on to the joy of contours!:tongue:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Langrangers are available in quite a few public libraries if you don't want to spend on them yet :tongue:. If you're really lucky the whole of your route will be on the same one.

Top Bottom