Cycle shoes or footware for people with wide feet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
I have the opposite problem, having really narrow feet. Far bigger problem finding shoes, full stop. It seems that a lot of shops do shoes with wider fittings (not bike shoes) but never narrow. At least I know to opt for Sidi now.
Shimano and Specialized are ok but come up just slightly too wide. Usable but not perfect.

GrahamG

Guru
After squeezing into some Diadora's (1 size up) and trying Shimano's (2 sizes up!), I've just gone with some Specialized at 1 size up but nice and wide - they fit just great.

yenrod

ChrisKH said:
I have the opposite problem, having really narrow feet. Far bigger problem finding shoes, full stop. It seems that a lot of shops do shoes with wider fittings (not bike shoes) but never narrow. At least I know to opt for Sidi now.
Shimano and Specialized are ok but come up just slightly too wide. Usable but not perfect.

Chris I used to dream of wide shoes till I found NW'.

Still, you can count yourself pretty lucky with regards to a Sidi fit - lovely shoe - nice soft leather :smile:

Did you kow they use a cork insole (well the ones I had - did) that mould to your feet, just nicely; thats if you don't use the provided insole !

Mr Pig

I've got a pair of Specialized cycling shoes lying in the bottom of the wardrobe. They fitted and worked ok but they were obviously designed in a warmer climate and were freezing! The wind goes right through them, far worse than normal trainers.

yenrod said:
Specialized have always been good relaiable products.

I imagine they've taken some foot moulds of Americans.

Nver understood this 'narrow foot shoe thing' ie Sidi's which is a real shame as the do - do some great shoes: real soft leather.

I did have a pair for AGES.

One of the best manufacturers in cycling.

I feel Northwave have got 'ahead on them -width in the shoe dept is never a bad thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad:

Jon Luck where also a good make but god knows what happened t them :rofl: :becool: :tongue:

On the recommendation of Yenners, I have bought a bling pair of Northwave Aerlite's - They are :ohmy: ;)

Haven't used them yet, but the fit seems good so far.

Incidentally Yenrod, you mentioned John Luck shoes, I have a pair (my only other shoes), I have never heard anyone mention them before.

GrahamG

Guru
Mr Pig said:
I've got a pair of Specialized cycling shoes lying in the bottom of the wardrobe. They fitted and worked ok but they were obviously designed in a warmer climate and were freezing! The wind goes right through them, far worse than normal trainers.

Don't suppose they're an MTB shoe in a 43 are they? :angry:

peekay76

Mr Pig said:

This is why I love my specialized shoes for keeping my toes cool in the summer and love my overshoes for keeping the wind out in the winter. I tried all sorts of sock combinations to keep my toes warm without success as some simply weren't up to it and others were too thick to fit comfortably. I then got a pair of overshoes and just used my normal socks all winter and my toes were fine.

Mr Pig

GrahamG said:
Don't suppose they're an MTB shoe in a 43 are they? :tongue:

Size 9, whatever that is in old money.

PrettyboyTim

One of my toe cllips fell off on the way home today. Perhaps it is time to finally go clipless.

I think I'll see if I can find any shoes that fit later this week.

Moose

Can't help with any suggestions but it's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Ever since I had my feet measured at Clarks as a nipper, I've been wearing footwear 2-3 sizes too big (I was off the scale for width, even at Clarks), so I'm used to wearing shoes too big, including my shimano cycle shoes.

Zorro

Veteran
I have really large feet size 13, and fairly wide. Tried loads of shoes, the shimanos were all too narrow as were the Mavics, Northwaves didn't come in my size so ended up as a last resort trying the specialized BG elite (the only specialized shoe that went up to my size). And they fit lovely, wide enough, long enough and plenty comfy. I would definitely recommend them.

Top Bottom