cycle shops in Northern England

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

i buy quite alot of bike stuff from the net as well as from LBS but i'm going to buy some cycling shoes, and the net is not ideal for this for obvious reasons. Unfortunately all of my LBS stock very few shoes and so i'm going to have to go further afield.

Anybody know of the good bike shop in the Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds etc area where they have a range of shoes (mountain style - i want to walk in them) and the staff are friendly??

I'm visiting Manchester next weekend and so a shop there would be ideal.

Thanks

Try Chevin Cycles in Otley, just outside Leeds. I got my first bike from there hundreds of years ago. And when you've bought your bike stuff, you can nip over the road to the Junction Inn for a pint of the best Timothy Taylor's beer in the world.:biggrin:

SamNichols

Edinburgh cycles in manchester has a fair range of mountain biking shoes - it is weaker on the road shoe side of things. No idea about LBSs around here I am afraid, as I am so new to the area.

OP
OP
D

DLB

SamNichols said:
Edinburgh cycles in manchester has a fair range of mountain biking shoes - it is weaker on the road shoe side of things. No idea about LBSs around here I am afraid, as I am so new to the area.

I'd not thought of Edinburgh cycles in Manchester. Doh! Their service is second to none and i'm visiting the south of the city and so i'll pop in there.

Thanks Sam.

Thief - if i get no luck at E cycles i'll try that shop. Thanks

Bokonon

Über Member
I don't know what the Rotherham branch of JE James is like, but the Sheffield branch is likely to have a good stock - quality of the staff may be a bit hit and miss though.

OP
OP
D

DLB

Bokonon said:
I don't know what the Rotherham branch of JE James is like, but the Sheffield branch is likely to have a good stock - quality of the staff may be a bit hit and miss though.

Don't even go there, no really don't go there. Just the name of JE james makes me twitch with anger. I wouldn't go into one of their stores if they were the last bike stockist in the world.

Evans on Deansgate looks interesting - i might give them a try.

Harry Hall's - wheres that?

monnet

Guru
Harry Hall's on Whitworth Street, just down from Oxford Road station, under the railway arches. Great shop and cycling institution in Manchester. Unfortunately the great man himself passed away recently.

OP
OP
D

DLB

monnet said:
Harry Hall's on Whitworth Street, just down from Oxford Road station, under the railway arches. Great shop and cycling institution in Manchester. Unfortunately the great man himself passed away recently.

My meeting is just opposite oxford road station and so i'll wander down and have a look.

With Hill's, Edinburgh cycles and evans i should have plenty of choice.

thanks for the suggestions

simoncc

monnet said:
If you're in Manchester then how can you miss out Harry Hall's? There's also an Evans.

Go to Evans. Since it opened in the city centre I have used it quite a bit - it often has quite good prices and plenty of offers. Harry Hall's is quite a good shop but is and always has been expensive and geared towards roadies who want the latest of everything. All the best bike shops in Manchester are miles from the city centre. Bicycle Doctor in Rusholme is quite close and quite good and not too expensive. Edinburgh Co-op, on the way to Rusholme, is quite expensive and doesn't seem to stock that much especially for such a big shop.

postman

Legendary Member
The Evans shop is in Castleford not Castleton as stated by Cathryn .Just a slip on the old key board.It's near the ski slope.

Top Bottom