Cycle shorts - daft question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
this might be a daft question but I want to ask anyway since it is new to me.

when I ride longer than 5 miles the soft tissue area between my legs starts to ache and gets worse the longer I ride.

when I ride longer for example 15+ miles after the ride I am in pain where the seems of my underwear meets my skin (again between the legs area).

will cycle shorts stop this if so which would you recommend.

Gary E

Veteran
Yes! (to a degree)
Also, you need to go commando, the only thing between you and the saddle should be your padded shorts.
A good quality saddle of the right size helps (speak to your LBS and consider getting your bum measured!)
You can use Chamois cream around the tender areas too. Apply it before a ride and it will help with the chaffing.
Finally, time in the saddle, the more you ride the more resistant you'll become.
Enjoy :smile:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Wiggle do dhb padded undershorts, you wear them as undies under ur tracksuit bottoms or normal clothes. Theyre a lot more comfy than just wearing normal clothes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
i have just ordered my first pair of shorts. the endura 8 panel coolmax in black, hope they increase the comfort level

Have a pair of those. Very good shorts.
However, bibs are much better comfort wise. No waistband sticking in yer gut when on the bike.

snorri

Legendary Member
Assuming that you have been cycling for a little time, the fact that aching starts after just 5 miles would suggest something wrong with your bike set up, unless you are particularly sensitive in that region. While padded shorts may mask the problem, it might be worth getting some guidance on adjustments you could make to the bike.

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
Assuming that you have been cycling for a little time, the fact that aching starts after just 5 miles would suggest something wrong with your bike set up, unless you are particularly sensitive in that region. While padded shorts may mask the problem, it might be worth getting some guidance on adjustments you could make to the bike.

I think it is setup correctly reading the different articles about it.

when pedal at the bottom, leg is slightly bent with ball of foot on pedal. arms are slightly bent and I can only slightly see the front hub (top part).

is this right?

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
only thing that I can think off is that I don't sit on the widest part of the saddle but slightly forward and I don't stand while riding, I am always seated during the ride.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Wiggle do dhb padded undershorts, you wear them as undies under ur tracksuit bottoms or normal clothes. Theyre a lot more comfy than just wearing normal clothes.
I bought a pair similar to these and I shredded them in 500 miles designed for leisure riding so beware,

Top Bottom