Cycle / Sports Watches Any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclone1

As per the title...

I currently ride with my iPhone and am using Strava to track my cycle data. Everything works fine and I almost instantly have my data / stats post the ride. I keep my iPhone in my jersey pocket and have been toying with an iPhone mount for the handlebars, however.....

Would a watch do the same job??

I have looked at the Tom Tom Multi Sport, Nike + and Garmin 310XT, Samsung Gear Fit and all look fine. But would they track the ride as efficiently as the iPhone Strava app and are they all capable of uploading the data to Strava post each of my rides?

If they are as good then I would rather wear a watch than carry my iPhone in my jersey pocket, but if not then maybe a phone mount for my bike is the better option?

Any info / advice / experienced appreciated.

Cheers
Jules

One of the issues is the battery life and compatibility

Cheaper ones tend to be "runners" watches and have a battery life of a few hours. Even the more expensive ones like the Garmin Fenix and Suunto Ambit are liable to run out of juice on a long touring day.

In both cases there are advanced features, both will do heart rate and cadence, tracks and rutes. The Fenix has a "map" but iy=t is so basic as to be virtually useless. (Think breadcrumb trail onthe original ETrex)

I use the Fenix and Ambit for photography, and days out.

For more information and reviews on this type of equipment have a look at DC Rainmaker

In particular the comparisons page may help in whittling down to a manageable shortlist

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
I used a Forerunner 110 Garmin for quite a while. It's not a bad option - especially if you run as well. It tracks better than the iPhone (fewer unlikely 'max speeds') and the battery lasted for a 100 mile sportive plus getting to and from the start (plus it saves your iPhone battery for that time when you really need a phone!). You can set it so the bottom line of the display is 'current speed' and it becomes fairly easy to take in distance, duration and speed at a glance while riding. And it will record heart rate. Uploading to Strava works, but it will default to 'running' as your exercise. While garmin connect and endomondo are quite happy to let you switch it to 'cycling' and carry on, but strava.com will occasionally seem to confuse itself during the change and just lock up. Mostly happens on longer rides.
But if you're not running, an Edge 200 is cheaper and better!

Berties

Fast and careful!
i have a Garmin 405 ,does both bikes and running,never use it for riding now as also have a 800,
405 does what it says on the can ,wireless uploads to connect or endamondo ,good bit of kit,

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

^_^

Thanks again for the advice.

Still unclear. Don't want a Garmin Edge as can stick with my phone and use Strava. I don't need maps at this stage.

It's a toss up between getting a watch that will track my ride data as per Strava, keeping my iPhone in my jersey pocket or buying an iPhone mount for the bike, so it's not in my pocket and I can see my stats mid ride if needed.

Has anyone used any of the watches mentioned or similar watches?

Top Bottom