Cycle to work buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
Thank you all for the advice and assistance.

I have taken C2W vouchers to the value of £850. This works out as about £45 per month. Due to my work hours, I haven't used my gym for a few months now which costs me £30 per month. I am cancelling the gym so in reality the bike isn't costing me a huge amount. I am also more likely to cycle to work because I have enjoyed it the last few times and also the total journey time is the same as my train commute. The aim is to commute to work 1/2/3 times a week until spring and then move towards more or less full time. I already have annual travel card that runs out in June so can take the train if needed.

At the moment, my leading bike of choice is the Boardman team carbon. I reserved a white 53cm in another store (£800) and I have the black/yellow 51.5cm reserved at local Halfords (£750). Does anyone know the difference? Spec wise, they seem identical and I am not sure if one is older or they just released them in different colours? I will test ride each again before deciding based on comfort.

My company provide me with £60 extra on top of my voucher for accessories and Halfords are running extra £75 of accessories when bought with any Boardman. Local Halfords have told me they can be stacked so I will have between £185-£235 to spend on accessories if I take the above two bikes. Any non essentials I can always get on the sales from Decathlon etc.

@J1888 Thanks for the tip there. A lot of the reviews between the two suggest the team carbon is much more comfortable so I am happy to save the extra £200 and be more comfortable!

@vickster I checked and the above bikes can take 28mm but without full mudguards or 25mm with full mudguards. The main weakness seems to be the brakes so I will probably upgrade those first when I get the chance.

@NorthernDave I haven't had the chance to ride one but will give it a go soon. I seem to be unpopular size for test bikes so very few places have bikes I can test ride in my size!

Thanks again all and happy to hear any further tips/bikes you can share.

There is no difference as far as I’m aware between the black team carbon and the white one which was released a year or so later.

They’ve remodelled this year but the two you mention are identical aside from colour

OP
OP
M

Marmo720

Something to bear in mind that a new bike is very attractive to thieves because it's so easy to resell. Make sure you get decent D-locks (i.e. two) and learn how to lock your bike properly (if possible leave one at work to save carrying it). I've seen a few C2W bikes stolen from outside my work where they've only been locked through the front wheel or locked with a loose fitting lock or a crappy cable lock.

I don't let potential thieves put you off though. I commute 5 miles each way in London (in all weathers) and absolutely love it. It's so much faster, cheaper and less stressful than public transport. I know, the odd puncture aside, that I'll be at work in about 30. No this bus terminates at the next stop, no strikes, no being squashed against the train doors...

For me, mudguards are a must. They're great - they (obviously!) keep you much drier, they stop you (and cyclists behind) getting covered in road filth and help protect your bike from grit and crap too. On the topic of the weather, it's doesn't actual rain as much as people think.

Luckily for me, my work has very secure bike parking facilities and great showers (better than mine at home!!) as well as storage for my suits/shoes etc. I intend on keeping my bike in the flat when at home. I will still get good locks anyway for the occasional weekend ride to the parks.

I borrowed my friend's hybrid for a few weeks and cycled to work 4 times. Absolutely enjoyed it - minus the first day when I was nervous riding so far on the road. I haven't cycled for 2 weeks and I wake up most mornings wishing I could cycle in. Main reason I want to get a bike now instead of Spring.

@J1888 That is great, thanks. I liked the colour scheme for the black instead of the white so if I find it comfortable then will most likely bite that and save extra £50 for accessories etc.

@vickster I agree. My upper limit is £1500 but went for the £850 as I am happy with the monthly costs going forward. I receive 20% discount from Halfords for a year and there are plenty of sales at the moment so I will get the bike fully kitted even if I need to top up my accessories budget.

OP
OP
M

Marmo720

So I decided to buy the Boardman team carbon in black and yellow (I am calling her Bumblebee) from my local Halfords. There was a small chip on the paint so received 10% off the bike bringing the cost down to £675.

They currently have £75 of accessories with any Boardman so in total I had £310 of extras I could get. I bought a kryptonite bike lock, mudguards, rechargeable lights, jacket, winter bibs, puncture replacement and a few other pieces.

Going to spend tonight setting everything up and then start cycling to work again. Thanks everyone for the advice and help - really useful!

Good morning,

After pondering the advice on bikes offered by others, I would like to throw a spanner into your plan, possibly just a chocolate one.

I don't know how much this will take out of your monthly pay check but if it is a lot remember that the scheme is for a fixed duration and you can not cancel it so you will be paying for it whether you use the bike or not.

13.5 miles each way is easily doable if you enjoy it, or it is a lot if you do not, so it may be worth just looking at bikes for a few more rides before committing yourself.

I used to commute using a race orientated bike and was getting through rear tyres every two month and front every 3 months, chains and cassettes once a year and a snapped chain meant a new rear mech, cassette and chain. Someone pinched the rear wheel so I had to replace the wheels as a pair along with the rear mech as it was broken.

Commuting by bike was almost as expensive as commuting by car! So maybe an 8 speed cassette with wider tyres and more tread would be worth considering rather than a 10/11 speed cassette and tyres with no tread.

I have both a 8 and 10 speed bikes and I very very rarely use the extra two sprockets, the 12 and 14 tooth ones.

8 Speed: 11,13,15,17,19,21,23,25
10 Speed: 11,12,13,14,15,17,19,21,23,25

Bye

Ian
Christ on a bike, what on earth was happening to your tyres?

vickster

Legendary Member
So I decided to buy the Boardman team carbon in black and yellow (I am calling her Bumblebee) from my local Halfords. There was a small chip on the paint so received 10% off the bike bringing the cost down to £675.

They currently have £75 of accessories with any Boardman so in total I had £310 of extras I could get. I bought a kryptonite bike lock, mudguards, rechargeable lights, jacket, winter bibs, puncture replacement and a few other pieces.

Going to spend tonight setting everything up and then start cycling to work again. Thanks everyone for the advice and help - really useful!
Enjoy. Don't forget to sort out insurance for the full replacement value (not what you'll pay through C2W) including any accessories that will be on the bike

Top Bottom