Cycle to work contract

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz911

Hi All,

I am new to cyclechat and what brings me here is the cycle to work scheme.

I am trying to get the bosses at my work to implemenmt the scheme. After presenting my evidence of the benefits, we are still stuck on the issue of liabilty. They feel if I injure myself on the way to work then they may get sued. Now I am not an ambulence chasher and if I fall off or get hurt, its my own fault, so I dont mind signing my life away in order to get a new bike.

Has anyone got wording of a cycle to work scheme which covers liabilty issues, which I can present to work and try and get the scheme installed.

Please PM me, if you have the wording.

Thank you

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
What about all the people that drive company cars to work? If they have accidents their companies are not liable.

Norm

Not quite the same as company cars.

People who drive cars which the company provide (equivalent to a bike loaned to the employee on a C2W scheme) are covered by the company's insurance. Most cycle to work scheme policies specify that the employee is responsible for the insurance, though, so the cyclist could be uninsured.

In theory (and this is where it does get to be BS, IMO), there should be some sort of risk assessment for everyone driving or riding a company vehicle to check that the vehicle is suitable for the employee and for the journey being considered.

Will1985

Über Member
Get CTC or BC membership which include liability insurance and legal assistance, then show that to your bosses. Everybody who cycles regularly should have it IMO.

thomas

the tank engine
I don't really know for sure, but contractually, excluding liability from death and injury is very, very difficult and normally cannot be done. It's easy to exclude damage to personal property though, but that's not that useful if you want C2W :sad:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
If they allow staff to drive to work, or ride a motorcycle there is still risk. The journey is also outside work time. If you commute to work in a uniform provided by an employer and have an accident the employer isnt at risk there either.

All an employer has to do is put "at your own risk" in the contract. They can also encourage CTC or BC membership, operate cycle training schemes and provide hiviz bibs and helmets to their staff with the company logos on etc...

Top Bottom