cycle to work scheme.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisc

Guru
We're hoping, after months of badgering, to get the scheme set up at work. Looks promising now and ought to be in place in time for a new toy come spring! :tongue:
The site says that an estimate of the final purchase price is around 5% of the original voucher so £50 on a £1k bike. Anybody who's been through it reckon this is what it roughly works out at?

Debian

I'd like to push to get this set up at work but my employer is famous for not wanting to put in place anything that actually benefits an employee! :tongue:

So.....

Does anyone have any sort of justification document that I could put forward to senior management? Something that, in words of one syllable lays out the benefits to the employer?

You see, the problem that I envisage with my employer is that they will actually have to fork out cash up front which they then recoup over x months and that is something that my employer is always very reluctant to do. How do I overcome that objection?

Debian

I'd like to push to get this set up at work but my employer is famous for not wanting to put in place anything that actually benefits an employee! :tongue:

So.....

Does anyone have any sort of justification document that I could put forward to senior management? Something that, in words of one syllable lays out the benefits to the employer?

You see, the problem that I envisage with my employer is that they will actually have to fork out cash up front which they then recoup over x months and that is something that my employer is always very reluctant to do. How do I overcome that objection?

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Debian said:

So.....

It saves the employer money on their NI contibution, they can save on VAT, plus you are a tax payer and entitled to it…..

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Debian said:
I'd like to push to get this set up at work but my employer is famous for not wanting to put in place anything that actually benefits an employee! :biggrin:

So.....

It saves the employer money on their NI contibution, they can save on VAT, plus you are a tax payer and entitled to it…..

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Norm

Debian said:
... there's no compulsion on any company to implement it.
That's very true. It seems a strange stance to suggest.

I have a document I used a few months back. Remind me on Monday and I'll forward it. :thumbsup:

Norm

Debian said:
... there's no compulsion on any company to implement it.
That's very true. It seems a strange stance to suggest.

I have a document I used a few months back. Remind me on Monday and I'll forward it. :biggrin:

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Debian said:
You say "entitled to it" but that's not true is it? I mean I can't really put that forward as an argument, there's no compulsion on any company to implement it.

‘Entitled’ as in you are personally.

You are correct there's no compulsion on any company to implement it, however the very fact that you are entitled to it does mean that you can put that forward as an argument as far as I am concerned; just because they don’t have to doesn’t mean they shouldn’t.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Debian

Trouble is my employer is a charity and cannot reclaim VAT. Hence their savings are reduced and there's some excuse been given that the Governers see a problem with charities running such schemes?

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Debian said:
Trouble is my employer is a charity and cannot reclaim VAT. Hence their savings are reduced and there's some excuse been given that the Governers see a problem with charities running such schemes?

That does reduce their incentive, although many employers pass on the VAT saving to the employee as a goodwill gesture; they still save on the NI contribution of course.

If your employer will not implement the scheme because all they care about are their incentives and not yours then that is a shame.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Debian said:

My employers are a charity and see no problem with the scheme. We can't claim the VAT back either so the bikes do work out more expensive for our employees than they would if we worked for commercial members of the scheme. Our HR took the view the NI saving plus the benefit it offered to employees was enough to justify it.

Most of the 'reasons' put forward by people for not joining in are bogus and come from a certain mean spiritedness towards employees imo. What it would have to do with your Governors/Council/Trustees etc., I could not say other than it is odd, ime, for the people at this level to get involved in operational stuff like cyclescheme.

Of course your people may have some special insight into drawbacks for charities that the countless other charities that are part of it have overlooked. But somehow I doubt it.

Top Bottom