Cycle trails in the peaks Derbyshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
We are planning a decent day out riding the ex railway trails in the Peaks ...
Any suggestions as which to ride, how they interconnect, start points and parking.
Ideally we would like a circular route using the trails, even if it means reversing rides etc ..
Thoughts and suggestions please.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Combining Tissington Trail and High Peak Trail (they meet at Parsley Hay) will give you about 50 miles in total. Park in Ashbourne, ride up to Parsley Hay on Tissington Trail, join High Peak Trail then ride to Middleton Top and back to Ashbourne. Don't ride past Middleton Top unless you really, really like hills - there are 3 notable ones that you'll have to ride back up from High Peak Junction each about 12% gradient.

https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/410218/PDNP-White-Peak-Trails-Map.pdf

More info on these two trails here and here.

whitepeaktrails.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
https://www.cyclosm.org/#map=11/53.1191/-1.7037/cyclosm looks a reasonable overview for me:
54 is the High Peak Trail,
68's darker bit is the Tissington Trail,
547 and 548 connect those two on quieter roads, plus they meet towards the north end,
549's dark bit is Manifold Way (not a rail trail I think but an easy connection) linked to 68 by the rest of it,
680 is the Monsal Trail from Bakewell and the White Peak Trail around Matlock which have no signposted connection to other routes yet - there seem obvious-looking minor roads between them but I wonder why they're not signed.

https://cycling.waymarkedtrails.org/#?map=10!53.1419!-1.7768 is another view with better searching but worse maps. https://cycle.travel/map is good for route planning.

Let us know how it goes, please! I've looked them up a few times but never ridden any of them.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Many thanks so far ....... Is there any advantage, or disadvantage to starting at the Buxton end ? its nearer to me ...

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Many thanks so far ....... Is there any advantage, or disadvantage to starting at the Buxton end ? its nearer to me ...
If I remember correctly, it was a little muddier between Dowlow and Hurdlow, but after Hurdlow down to Parsley Hay, it was well-surfaced trails. That's the only issue. If riding both Tissington and High Peak, starting at Dowlow will mean riding to the end and back then switching to the next trail at Parsley Hay. One of the reasons I suggested starting at Ashbourne is that Tissington is slightly but persistently uphill from that end. My preference when I rode the two trails together was to get the uphill gradient (mostly) out of the way first.

I've looked it up - I rode these two trails together from Ashbourne to Parsley Hay to Hurdlow and Dowlow (the furthest point north on High Peak Trail) then south-east to Middleton Top, back north-west to Parsley Hay and south to Ashbourne. A total of 57 miles.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

The disadvantage is that it's uphill at the end of the day - I did the Tissington trail many times with kids and it's remarkable how much difference a 1:200 gradient (I think that's what it is) makes when you turn around at the top to go home!

There are many ways to link the High Peak and Tissington trail, all good.

A word of caution: much of the Tissington trail is very exposed to the elements. I wouldn't particularly recommend it in winter.

But if it were me... I'd rather do the Monsal Trail, far more spectacular, featuring lots of tunnels and set in a deep gorge for protection, plus it comes out at Bakewell for lots of tea shops etc. From the Buxton end: maybe park at the top of the trail, cycle up to Hurdlow on the map above, then take the High Peak trail as far as you want before cutting across to Bakewell, then Monsal trail to end.

Enjoy.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
The disadvantage is that it's uphill at the end of the day - I did the Tissington trail many times with kids and it's remarkable how much difference a 1:200 gradient (I think that's what it is) makes when you turn around at the top to go home!

There are many ways to link the High Peak and Tissington trail, all good.

A word of caution: much of the Tissington trail is very exposed to the elements. I wouldn't particularly recommend it in winter.

But if it were me... I'd rather do the Monsal Trail, far more spectacular, featuring lots of tunnels and set in a deep gorge for protection, plus it comes out at Bakewell for lots of tea shops etc. From the Buxton end: maybe park at the top of the trail, cycle up to Hurdlow on the map above, then take the High Peak trail as far as you want before cutting across to Bakewell, then Monsal trail to end.

Enjoy.
Monsal Trail is excellent with all the tunnels to go through. 8 miles (ish) end-to-end. High Peak Trail is also quite exposed in places - when I rode there, the wind was particularly strong that day and I really knew about it.

Carsington Water is a great circular loop of about 8 miles with a few ups and downs. The only exposed section there is when you ride across the dam wall (if I’m remembering correctly!).

Tom B

Guru
What sort of bike would one need for travelling the High Peak Trail? Is it doable on a hybrid or gravel bike with marathon plus tyres or would the MTB be a better bet?

Last edited:

And

Fun sponge
But if it were me... I'd rather do the Monsal Trail, far more spectacular, featuring lots of tunnels and set in a deep gorge for protection, plus it comes out at Bakewell for lots of tea shops etc.
The Monsal Trail is more spectacular, and more accessible, so the downside is it's always busy - always. Many random people with loose dogs. Can be a right pain.....

On another note, you could probably 'do' most of the trails in Derbyshire with 28mm road tyres; generally the surfaces are compacted and drain well, but there may be puddles in places.

You could try Buxton to Tissington via the Tissington Trail (route 68), cut across to Bradbourne and Carsington (route 547 - Carsington can be busy too), join the High Peak trail (route 54) then back to Buxton. All doable on a hybrid or gravel bike, 40-50 steady miles.

ETA - apols, only just seen your other post :blush:

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Chris and i had a great morning ride along the high peak trail from Hurdlow to Middleton Top and back last Saturday.
Bloody cold though ,,, -3 / -2 deg C all day and thick fog.
I rode my road bike with 28mm Vittoria adventure tyres, no problem, the surface is very smooth.

Top Bottom