Cycle Trainer for Winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AWG

I have been busy cleaning and lubricating and fitting a new rear tyre and tube to a Gemini Outrider 10 speed bike that has been residing at the back of a large garden shed for most of the decade. This Winter I plan to cycle many hundreds of miles on this machine in appalling weather without a helmet or even a coat on.

But before I get accused of being mentally ill :sad:

What I am thinking of doing is putting the Gemini onto one of these "trainer" things - a rolling road device. This will go in our garden cabin next to press up bench, weights etc. Has anyone any experience of these things. I know Halfords do one (well wouldn't they just!) at around £100. The cost of a really good cycle machine must be three times the price of this idea though and it could be a good way to give the Gemini (which none of us has ever fancied using!) an honourable death.

Taa!

OP
OP
A

AWG

PS: I'm talking about a fixed magnetically controlled resistance trainer. (No computer games or anything like that attached to it:smile:)

Taa (2)

Blue

Legendary Member
I use a basic turbo trainer when the weather is bad and I think it is one of the best bits of kit I've ever bought.

On the down side, they can cause you to overheat and are boring. However, if you can cope with those issues they are great.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have had two attempts to use Turbo trainers. The first time I bought a new one and used it about four times before storing it for three years and then selling it. During a moment of insanity I bought a second hand one last winter and never got to using it before selling it on - the reason? The weather wasn't foul enough to keep me indoors.

I found that my brief sessions with the turbo trainer to be dull, boring and extremely hot and sweaty. Some folk have a mind set that can cope with the discipline needed to get the best from a turbo trainer - I'm not one of those folk.

Hont

Guru
I've got a cycle ops one where the resistance increases the higher the gear you are in - not too bad at simulating the feeling you get from riding on the road.

Agree with the others that it's hot (open the window or get a big fan pointed at you)and boring (I've got a TV in the same room, which helps pass the time) but I'd rather do that than go out in the wind and rain, so I use mine in Winter a lot.

I've never done more than 90 minutes on the Turbo, though, due to the boredom and the fact that, because your position does not change much, I can get uncomfortable. So I mainly do intervals to get the most out of the time - not everyone's cup of tea.

They are great for recovery rides, though, because you can keep your heart rate from getting too high - something I struggle to do on a real bike as there are always hills on my route.

jimboalee

MarinYork will love this.

Resistance to forward motion is not effected by what gear your bike is in. The fluid brake on the trainer simulates a generic 'Road load' curve that the turbo trainer's manufactures have decided represents a man on a race bike.

The curve is Watts per kmh, which is calculated using CdA, Tyre rolling resistance and the vehicle's weight or a typical Coefficient of drag x a typical Xsection area; a typical tyre spec and a typical weight.

You are going to be very bloody lucky if you match all the criteria.

Another method of increasing resistance on rollers is to stretch gaffer tape across the spokes in the rear wheel ( laterally like baffle plates ). It also creates a cooling draught.

Top Bottom