Cycle tyre pressures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edthevanman

Hi everyone

I have just bought a racing bike and the tryes state a MAX PSI of 110psi --how does convert to BAR. What pressure should I run them at (not racing) just road work.
Thanks
Ed

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'd go for 110. they might even go a bit higher. if they are cheap tyres that came with the bike, you might be better off changing them for a better quality pair anyway, which will offer better puncture protection and run at higher pressures.

a track pump is useful for these sort of pressures. lidl have just had one in stock (might be worth looking), or wait for aldi in may. or buy a really nice one if funds permit.

enjoy the bike :smile:

buddha

Veteran
To convert from psi > bar divide by 14.5
So 110psi is approx 7.5 bar

BTW. I bought that track pump from Lidl on Monday. Well worth the price (£5) - if they still have any left.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
beanzontoast said:
To repeat a bit of advice I was given, stay a bit below max pressure in the hot summer months.
Good Advice. And if you're bike is in the car on a hot day or direct sunlight. Had 2 tyres explode whilst the bike was on the back seat as I drove to Brighton one sunny afternoon...:smile:

IMO it pays to experiment a bit, depending on tyres and road surfaces, rock hard is not always best, on less than perfect surfaces a few psi lower can give a better ride with no loss of effort, if you're being ratt;ed to pieces, lower thema bit and try again. Many alo run slightly lower pressure front tyres for that bit extra grip at the front, and some lower pressures a few psi when wet or slipp conditions occur.

Hope you enjoy your new toy, what did you get? What kind of riding will you be doing?
Keep asking questions, enjoy the forum.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Fab Foodie said:
Good Advice. And if you're bike is in the car on a hot day or direct sunlight. Had 2 tyres explode whilst the bike was on the back seat as I drove to Brighton one sunny afternoon...:smile:

IMO it pays to experiment a bit, depending on tyres and road surfaces, rock hard is not always best, on less than perfect surfaces a few psi lower can give a better ride with no loss of effort, if you're being ratt;ed to pieces, lower thema bit and try again. Many alo run slightly lower pressure front tyres for that bit extra grip at the front, and some lower pressures a few psi when wet or slipp conditions occur.

Hope you enjoy your new toy, what did you get? What kind of riding will you be doing?
Keep asking questions, enjoy the forum.
Had that happen a couple of times on my way to races. In the end I used to deflate the tyres before I put the bike in the car.

That pressure is a bit like a speed limit - it is a maximum, not a target.

Experiment. Lots.

You want a tyre to deflect (squish out) where it meets the road, if you keep playing with your pressures, you will suddenly find one that works best for you.

My roadbike runs 6.5bar rear and 5bar front, on 700x25c P2Rs - as I like the deflection of my front tyre to match that of my rear.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
That pressure is a bit like a speed limit - it is a maximum, not a target..

exactly.

there's a chart at the bottom of this page you may find helpful

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3802

Top Bottom