Cycle2Work - Bike Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JLammy

Hi guys,

I am currently wanting to sign up for the Cycle2Work scheme with my employer and I would like to have some recommendations on which road bike I should choose to go for, once I get my collection letter. I’ve only had MTBs in the past, so this will be my first ever road bike.

The cycle to work is around 13 miles within London.

I will be going for the maximum amount of £1000.

I believe there is an option to obtain the bike from independent retailers, other than Halfords. However, I’ve been told that there are some benefits to getting the bike through Halfords:

---------------------
The following benefits will also be available to you (restricted to purchasing bikes from Halfords rather than independent retailers)

• 7.5% free accessories (based on the value of the Letter of Collection) if you select any of the 32 bike brands stocked and sourced through Halfords stores. The accessories voucher forms a part of the Letter of Collection and needs to be redeemed at the same time as the Letter of Collection.

• 20% loyalty card sent a month after the election window which give you 20% off cycle safety accessories for the length of the hire term.

• Free 6 week Service on all bikes supplied through the scheme.

• Free 1 year bike care providing over £100 worth of annual service and repair benefits:

Comprehensive 25 point annual service (normally £29.99) including wheels and tyres; brakes; gears; drive chain and frame
Free professional maintenance and repairs throughout the year by fully trained cycle mechanics – paying only for the parts used
Free labour charges for parts and accessory fitting

--------------

More than happy to go for a bike through an independent retailer if the bike is better value for money – I’ll be more than happy to just spend the ~£75 on accessories from my own wallet.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

A few bikes I'm considering are:

Road bikes:

- Giant Defy 1 2016 (Shimano 105): £999
- GT Grade Alloy 105 - £999
- Dolan l'Etape (Shimano 105): £849.99
- Dolan l'Etape (Ultegra 6800): £1049.99
- Cube Attain SL - £999
- Cube Attain SL Disc - £1199 (if a shop will let me add money on top - I like hydraulic brakes!)

CX bikes:

- Cannondale CaadX 105 2016: £899.99

Last edited by a moderator:

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't forget to budget for insurance and a couple of d locks if leaving in London

Can any take proper mudguards, best for commuting and a pannier rack to avoid sweaty back

Top Bottom