CycleChat investigates - human missions to Mars.

Who will get humans to Mars first?

• Space X - Musk is enough of a Buccaneer to pull it off.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Blue Origin - for £5.99 a month Bezos will also deliver your parcels there for free.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NASA - the sober, sharp haircutted scientists of American space exploration

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Russia - Putin will be the first to brew a nice pot of polonium tea on Mars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • China - Communism will reign supreme, and Corbyn has been tipped to pilot the first landing.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • We went there in the 60's and I recall International Rescue had to save them.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • It won't happen in our life time

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I've read the Martian Chronicles and it didn't end well

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I think the question should be, why?

For all the money spent what will the benefits be, other than who can piss highest up the wall bragging rights?

raleighnut

Legendary Member

For all the money spent what will the benefits be, other than who can piss highest up the wall bragging rights?
Yep, too many people have watched Sci-fi movies about 'Space, The Final Front Ear' and are seduced by the glamour and 'bravery' it projects. If the monies wasted on that had been distributed amongst the people then we could have had a much better society with more equality. Likewise the 'throwaway' system where in order to sell more 'product' we have built in obsolescence in order that people need to buy 'new' instead of being able to repair things.

It's no wonder that they're thinking "we need another planet" when we squander the resources of the one we have. :cursing:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I think maybe in 30 years there'll be the opportunity for rich space tourists to "go" there i.e. get there, possibly set foot on the planet for 5 minutes in a huge space suit, and then go home. £10m for bragging rights. Not much else will happen I don't htink, part from maybe landing some machinery on there to further our ability to study space.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They reckon this trip would only take seven months, one way.
Yes,i've just looked it up. I thought it'd take years! Maybe i was thinking of how long it'd take to get to The Sun,or summat like that.:unsure:

150-300 days

The total journey time from Earth to Mars takes between 150-300 days depending on the speed of the launch, the alignment of Earth and Mars, and the length of the journey the spacecraft takes to reach its target. It really just depends on how much fuel you're willing to burn to get there.9 May 2013

Ok,i'm up for it! :okay: Just as long as one of you promises to look after my mutt🐶 and water :rain:my palm trees while i'm away!:tongue:

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
What got the US to the moon in the 60's was capturing the public imagination which lead a drive. (and of course a former Jerry rocket scientist called Wernher Von Braun). I really can't see the public being captivated in a similar way about going to Mars. I do believe the likes of Chinese would have an easier job than the US. The US could throw in a free iPhone 'Mars Edition' i suppose, that might work...

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady

These are valid questions for sure,

However, There were a number of very useful inventions that came from the Apollo program which perhaps has made at least some people find use for. Such as:

Fireproof Uniforms that are now used in for Firefighters
Digital Cameras that are at least able to fit into your hands
Portable Hand Vacuum Cleaners
Vacuum Packed Food Products
Cordless Hand Tools
Quartz Clocks and Watches
Aluminium Foil
Programmable Pacemaker

Among many others such as advancements in dialysis machines.

Im not saying that a new space program could lead to a whole new wave of inventions like with the Apollo program but many household 'quality of life' and other life saving inventions came our way as a result of getting around the 'squidgy human in space' problem which exist with a human mission to Mars at present.

I think funding a mission to Mars is a far better investment than Nukes, Aircraft Carriers and Biological Weapons....

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
What got the US to the moon in the 60's was capturing the public imagination which lead a drive. (and of course a former Jerry rocket scientist called Wernher Von Braun). I really can't see the public being captivated in a similar way about going to Mars. I do believe the likes of Chinese would have an easier job than the US. The US could throw in a free iPhone 'Mars Edition' i suppose, that might work...
Like iPhones the Americans will market a Mars mission but the Chinese will make it work.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
How are they going to do a manned mission to Mars when it's a well known fact that they couldn't even get to the Moon? :whistle:
Provcative, Papa Dirk! The Americans, Japanese and Russians have in recent years been able to photograph the trail of footprints at some of the apollo landing sites from moon orbit, and the Russians have no particular reason to support an American conspiracy.

Top Bottom