CycleChat Investigates - Lewis Hamilton

Should Lewis Hamilton receive a knighthood?

• Yes. Ace driver, role model, great rapper and fashionista, can do no wrong.

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • No. He doesn't live or pay taxes in the UK, so what right does he have to a title?

Votes: 39 70.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I haven't followed the sport particularly closely but I farking detest Max Verstappen. He makes Schumi at the peak of his towering arrogance seem like the model of restraint and humility.

Hamilton is a bit of a prannock, and is certainly incredibly talented, but one thing that was clear from my time watching F1 was that you'll fare a lot better as a mediocre driver in a superb car than a superb driver in a mediocre car will. A lot of world champions learned this the hard way.

I would be interested to see how Hamilton would get on if he raced for a team that was scrapping for the last point in every race instead of almost complete dominance.
I suspect if you put any good driver in a mediocre team, they will slip into oblivion. Where Hamilton succeeded moving from McLaren to Mercedes, when McLaren were still at some if their best was that Mercedes, relatively new getting back into F1 as a team, had a plan..and money...and lots of it. Had he moved to most other, also ran teams, hed have slipped into oblivion as well.

If only all potential candidates had a thorough vetting. Saville, Harris, ..... Tax paying? How many knighted business / government leaders are clean/pay full UK tax:whistle:?

Seems a decent guy, probably as worthy as anyone else and more worthy than quite a few.
Ah, the 2wrongs Make A Right school of thought? Nope, that won't be winning me over , sorry!

PaulB

Legendary Member
He's a bit of a hypocrite. Gives it the big one about Black Lives Matter while dressed in his Hugo Boss gear with logos blaring the name out. Has he bothered finding out who Hugo Boss was and what he did for the Nazis during the 1930s and 40s? Hitler had a signed picture of Hugo Boss on his office desk while the Wermacht were going round dressed in Hugo Boss designed uniforms. No knighthood for him for that alone I'd say.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
He's a bit of a hypocrite. Gives it the big one about Black Lives Matter while dressed in his Hugo Boss gear with logos blaring the name out. Has he bothered finding out who Hugo Boss was and what he did for the Nazis during the 1930s and 40s? Hitler had a signed picture of Hugo Boss on his office desk while the Wermacht were going round dressed in Hugo Boss designed uniforms. No knighthood for him for that alone I'd say.
Not to mention Mercedes use of slave labour. He's happy to overlook hate crime where there's a fat profit at the other side of it.

They're one of the team sponsors.

This was one of the points raised a little while back in the motoring press, albeit not on this specific matter. Namely, when these guys are paying your wages, how much do you have to hold your nose and accept it...

Gunk

Guru
I still think he deserves a knighthood, his achievements have been astonishing. He will probably end up next season being the greatest driver of all time.

Stirling Moss was knighted for never winning a world championship

I haven't followed the sport particularly closely but I farking detest Max Verstappen. He makes Schumi at the peak of his towering arrogance seem like the model of restraint and humility.

Hamilton is a bit of a prannock, and is certainly incredibly talented, but one thing that was clear from my time watching F1 was that you'll fare a lot better as a mediocre driver in a superb car than a superb driver in a mediocre car will. A lot of world champions learned this the hard way.

I would be interested to see how Hamilton would get on if he raced for a team that was scrapping for the last point in every race instead of almost complete dominance.

Hmm, I dunno...

But there is one incident regarding Schumacher, where a certain Hampshireman, now one of the driver stewards, had him bent backwards over a table after an angry chase through the Nurburgring paddock, and was about to rearrange his facial features, but got stopped by Jochen Mass. Wonder what kind of man Schumacher would've been if that arrogance *had* been beaten out of him that day back in August '91...

Top Bottom