CycleChat Investigates - Lewis Hamilton

Should Lewis Hamilton receive a knighthood?

• Yes. Ace driver, role model, great rapper and fashionista, can do no wrong.

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • No. He doesn't live or pay taxes in the UK, so what right does he have to a title?

Votes: 39 70.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lookrider

He's a bit of a hypocrite. Gives it the big one about Black Lives Matter while dressed in his Hugo Boss gear with logos blaring the name out. Has he bothered finding out who Hugo Boss was and what he did for the Nazis during the 1930s and 40s? Hitler had a signed picture of Hugo Boss on his office desk while the Wermacht were going round dressed in Hugo Boss designed uniforms. No knighthood for him for that alone I'd say.

With you on that one
Also in that business of one form or another to which Hamilton or F1 may draw an income from
Enzo ferrari
A known fascist and admirer of Hitler
Mercedes Benz
A nazi company who used forced labour from tbe death camps
BMW dubious but unproven history similar to mercedes
It may well have been some 80 years ago ...but history asks us to " lest we not forget "
Hamilton complains about historic events against his creed some 150 years ago ..yes that was wrong as well ...if he asks for retribution against people who got rich via that event
Will he not hand back his riches gained from companies involved in mass murder and extermination camps that he has worked for

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
He does have a UK home.
although he studiously does not live in it enough days to qualify to pay income tax over here.

None of us live a life without hypocrisy.
Very true. Except for me of course ;) But old Lewis is off the scale with his. Not just a bit of hypocrisy around the fringes, but full on, weapons grade, boast about it on social media hypocrisy.

Hamilton isn’t stupid, he realises the hypocrisy and the fact he is being held to a standard very few of us could meet.
I don't think he is stupid - just the opposite. However, I genuinely believe he is seriously obtuse.

He is aware of being held to a certain standard, but the reason he chooses not to meet those standards is because it would be an impediment to earning tens of millions of pounds every year - complaining about racism, yet driving for a firm with a history of using and murdering Jewish slave labour, taking money to endorse Hugo boss who wilfully collaborated with the Nazi's, complaining about environmental issues while earning a fat salary to work in one of the most damaging jobs known to man. That's a pretty big, very convenient blind spot, and most people do actually manage to meet higher standards than that. He deliberately chooses not to meet high standards because it is very lucrative not to do so.

monkers

Veteran
F1 has had its day. I used to watch and enjoy it, but these days it is nothing more than corporate-sponsored global eco-terrorism fuelled by hydrocarbons and greed. I'd like to see it end.

As for Hamilton; I seriously dislike the actions of those who wrap themselves in the flag, call themselves patriots, but then go to live somewhere else, especially when for tax dodging purposes. I also seriously dislike decadence and the rubbing of other peoples' noses in it.

Show me the reset button and I'll race you to it.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
F1 has had its day. I used to watch and enjoy it, but these days it is nothing more than corporate-sponsored global eco-terrorism fuelled by hydrocarbons and greed. I'd like to see it end.
To be fair monkers, it was always that- posh jet-setters getting their friends' business contacts to pay for everything, attracting the fakes and the famous to provide the glamour.

monkers

Veteran
To be fair monkers, it was always that- posh jet-setters getting their friends' business contacts to pay for everything, attracting the fakes and the famous to provide the glamour.

Fair enough. Perhaps I should have been more honest and said I miss the brolly dollies. :laugh:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You would not pay tax tax if you did not have too, anyways why not live where you want to if you have the money. ...
I'd happily pay more tax if it improves our quality of life. That's what it's for, after all.
...and if I was in Lewis' shoes, I'd probably think... wow, I'm earning six million quid a year!

unlike Lewis, who thought... hmm, six million a year, not sure i can make ends meet on that... I'm gonna jump ship.

... On top of that he likely pays more in UK taxes than the rest of us out together.
it's a bit like Richard Branson, another famous tax dodger. Whenever the issue of his tax dodging is put to him, he just shrugs and says he pays an awful lot of tax. ...as if all the millions he avoids paying doesn't really matter.

What irks me about some people is... when they realise that they have more than enough money, they seem to think that they can never have too much

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I'd happily pay more tax if it improves our quality of life. That's what it's for, after all.
...and if I was in Lewis' shoes, I'd probably think... wow, I'm earning six million quid a year!

unlike Lewis, who thought... hmm, six million a year, not sure i can make ends meet on that... I'm gonna jump ship.

it's a bit like Richard Branson, another famous tax dodger. Whenever the issue of his tax dodging is put to him, he just shrugs and says he pays an awful lot of tax. ...as if all the millions he avoids paying doesn't really matter.

What irks me about some people is... when they realise that they have more than enough money, they seem to think that they can never have too much

Or maybe I am earning that much money I can live where I want to.

monkers

Veteran

Indeed I'm happy for anyone to live anywhere they want for a better life even if it has a more favourable tax regime. There's one thing I'm also pretty sure of though, if you consider yourself enough of a patriot to wrap yourself in the UK flag and offer to share your money with the UK tax office, they will most likely not refuse your kind gesture. Otherwise you might just call your home town in the UK variously 'a slum' or 'a sh*t hole' and still accept the UK Sports Personality of the Year award.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
This is true.

But we're all judged by the choices we make.

After enjoying the healthcare and welfare and education provided by British taxpayers, the teenage Lewis Hamilton didn't want to put his fair share of his salary back into the public purse, and left the country. I think he's a complete twunt for that.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Personally, it is not about:

- where he chooses to live

or

- if he chooses to avoid paying all or part of his taxes

or

- if he chooses to make derogatory remarks about this home town

But, if he is going to do those things, then, I would like him to keep his mouth shut, in public, with respect to the things which taxes may provide, like, for example, but not exclusively, equality of opportunity.

After a certain point it becomes about getting a high score.

Like Bezos who literally couldn't think of anything to do with his vast, uncountable fortune (hint, kojak. how's about paying your workers properly) so decided "I'll start a private space agency"

Top Bottom