CycleChat Investigates - Lewis Hamilton

Should Lewis Hamilton receive a knighthood?

• Yes. Ace driver, role model, great rapper and fashionista, can do no wrong.

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • No. He doesn't live or pay taxes in the UK, so what right does he have to a title?

Votes: 39 70.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As we are now focusing on his tax shenanigans, a random question, where do all the super rich footballers pay their tax? The ones that reside in the UK to play for UK teams?
If they reside in the UK then they'll pay the standard rate of income tax to HMRC for their salary. Some do (allegedly) have dodgy off shore schemes for things like image rights or some such.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I find it curious that the egregiousness of his hypocrisy, tax shenanigans and prannockhood is constantly brought up whenever he is mentioned, while most other celebrity prannockry is downplayed with a "well, boys will be boys" or defended with the rousing cry of "cancel culture"
There's been a few threads over the years about tax evasion/avoidance, panama papers and all that kinda thing (I can't be arsed to look for any at the moment), it's surprising (or not) how many are happy to pitch in and defend said perpetrators, "they ain't doing nuffin wrong"," we'd all be doing it if we could", "why pay more tax than you have to", "it aint illegal", that kind of thing.
Generally missing from this thread though, odd that.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I'd rather watch paint dry than watch recent F1. I'd rather give Phil Taylor a knighthood than him though. Not keen on him as a person either, but he's a bit more real, well like a 1000% more real..

It's a more low-profile sport, but to me personally is head and shoulders above F1, as a spectator sport, everybody to their own though. I can't think of a more successful British sports person in-terms of dedication and titles won. If they gave people like Taylor an award, I'd take all that knighthood cr@p a bit more seriously, personally. Otherwise I couldn't give a flying .... who got one.

Phil is a true athlete for the sport..

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I'd rather watch paint dry than watch recent F1. I'd rather give Phil Taylor a knighthood than him though. Not keen on him as a person either, but he's a bit more real, well like a 1000% more real..

It's a more low-profile sport, but to me personally is head and shoulders above F1, as a spectator sport, everybody to their own though. I can't think of a more successful British sports person in-terms of dedication and titles won. If they gave people like Taylor an award, I'd take all that knighthood cr@p a bit more seriously, personally. Otherwise I couldn't give a flying .... who got one.

Phil is a true athlete for the sport..
Phil Taylor was offered an OBE, but then his sexual assault charges came to light and it was retracted.

stephec

Legendary Member
Just had this appear on my Facebook.

Disclaimer - I give no guarantee as to the truth of it. 😊

Cletus Van Damme

The darts player yeah? Just so we're clear ...

Yes the darts player. I'd give one to Ronnie O'Sullivan too, the snooker player.

Cletus Van Damme

Phil Taylor was offered an OBE, but then his sexual assault charges came to light and it was retracted.

Sorry I didn't know that. It's the same with Ronnie O'Sullivan, regarding his father I would imagine. I guess people would argue that Darts and Snooker are games, not sport. I don't think it should matter though.

Milzy

Guru
He goes on about BLM but happily wears Hugo boss who made SS & other Nazi uniforms.
Talks about lowering our carbon footprint but jets around the globe all the time. Dodging tax offshore. One of the worlds best ever drivers in the dry but what a knobber.

Lookrider

Yes the darts player. I'd give one to Ronnie O'Sullivan too, the snooker player.
I'm not big into darts or snooker however im sure we have all heard of the maximum 147 in snooker
Statistics will show this has been achieved by many players some many times over and ronnie being one of these who I think is tagged as mr maximum
On the other hand the max checkout I darts is a 9 dart finish ..not following darts to much but I believe this has only been done on a few occasions and phil taylor managed it twice in one set or game or day I think ( can anyone confirm this )
So that in itself must have been a remarkable achievement within his sport...regardless if we think darts is boring ..easy ...not a sport ..not athletes etc

macp

Guru
He goes on about BLM but happily wears Hugo boss who made SS & other Nazi uniforms.
Talks about lowering our carbon footprint but jets around the globe all the time. Dodging tax offshore. One of the worlds best ever drivers in the dry but what a knobber.
And drives for Mercedes ^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm not big into darts or snooker however im sure we have all heard of the maximum 147 in snooker
Statistics will show this has been achieved by many players some many times over and ronnie being one of these who I think is tagged as mr maximum
On the other hand the max checkout I darts is a 9 dart finish ..not following darts to much but I believe this has only been done on a few occasions and phil taylor managed it twice in one set or game or day I think ( can anyone confirm this )
So that in itself must have been a remarkable achievement within his sport...regardless if we think darts is boring ..easy ...not a sport ..not athletes etc
"There have been 342 ‘9 Darters’ in PDC (WDC) history since 1996."
https://www.pdpa.co.uk/statistics/9-dart-club/

Top Bottom