CycleChat Investigates - SciFi

Which is the greatest SciFi film?

• 2001 - A Space Odyssey

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • The Day The Earth Stood Still (original version)

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Forbidden Planet

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Silent Running

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • The Omega Man

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Interstellar

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The Martian

• Star Terk II - The Wrath of Khan

• Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is "The Rocky Horror Show" not counted as a sci-fi film???

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Only 3 contenders in Drago's list really. 2001, albeit pretentious, Silent Running but perhaps not enough story, so went for Forbidden Planet, for all the shonky script and acting. The score is outstanding, and it still looks great.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Tough one, Close Encounters is great as is Silent Running, District 9 very underrated I think. There are many lesser known films as well, Contact is one.

I've gone for the best of that list, Star Wars. I remember seeing it n VHS in the 80s and being blown away by it. I had loads of toys for it, and have been consumed by that universe ever since.

If I was to choose one of my own it would either be Aliens (Directors Cut), or The Fly. Together they are easily my most rewatched sci fi films.

One I watched recently and loved is Explorers, great Joe Dante film that suffered from a rushed production. Also honourable mention for Gattaca, June Law and Ethan Hawke are great in it.

One more, These Final Hours, an apocalyptic event is about to destroy all life on the planet, what would you do?

so went for Forbidden Planet, for all the shonky script and acting. The score is outstanding, and it still looks great.
Shakespeares 'The Tempest' (in space)

Day The Earth Stood Still
; Michael Rennie, a Bradford born alien! (with a message against nuclear proiferation)
The War of The Worlds; the 1953 film, quite excellent!!

Milzy

Guru
I do love The Terminator films. I actually think the concept is likely to happen in the future. We have evolved biologically the best we can hope to achieve. Next step we will become cyborgs when our phones become brain implants. Elon musk will be old but still alive then.

I do love The Terminator films. I actually think the concept is likely to happen in the future. We have evolved biologically the best we can hope to achieve. Next step we will become cyborgs when our phones become brain implants. Elon musk will be old but still alive then.

I love the Terminator franchise, only the first two films could make this list but I've watched and enjoyed all of them. I'm hoping, given a few years, we'll have another film to enjoy 🤖

I went for Star Terk II. Star Terk I was rubbish, but Ricardo Montalban's fake tan was so radioactive I hope they do the same in the sequel.

Top Bottom