CycleChat Investigates - Self Service Tills

What do you think of self service checkouts?

• I love them. They speed me swifty onwards with my purchases.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I can't stand them. They're not actually any quicker and take jobs from real humans.

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • Meh. Don't care so long as I get my shopping.

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • I don't have a TV.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a shoplifter.

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
WIth fruit I always use the scales near the fruit section and get a proper scanable label from them

That one seems to work better - assuming the printer has some labels anyway

Also good to teach the grandkis about numbers and stuff and makes the till "experience" quicker

presta

Guru
Yeah but ... 11 kiwis are more expensive than a pineapple.

That's my point.

mustang1

Legendary Member
:biggrin:

Why don't the customers engage in human interaction with each-other while they are using the tills? Surely this is shared responsibility within society - we can't put all the pressure on the till droids/operatives!

There are too many people who live in a vicinity. The less people there are, I think the more likely they are to talk to each other.

Some years ago when there were less cyclists on the road, I felt there was more comradery and initiative to talk to each other. At least for me.

Now that there are a lot more cyclists, I don't bother waving or saying hello or whatever. Perhaps it's the same thing at the supermarket?

Or, maybe I just cannot be bothered!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
They don't know it's a banana. They only know the weight range of a single loose banana. If you find an unusually large or small banana it'll flag it.

I very much doubt it uses weight, far too unreliable - i have an avacado and a pepper here which are within two grams of each other, so weight would be hopeless.

Besides, the camera looking at the product is a bit if a giveaway!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I very much doubt it uses weight, far too unreliable - i have an avacado and a pepper here which are within two grams of each other, so weight would be hopeless.

Besides, the camera looking at the product is a bit if a giveaway!

I know it uses the weight because the bagging area of the SS tills in my local Adli is quite literally a weighing scale.

Alex321

Veteran
I know it uses the weight because the bagging area of the SS tills in my local Adli is quite literally a weighing scale.

I think they all are, the camera (where there is one) covers the scanning area.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I should reword what i said earlier. Obviously weigh is used, but my point was weight alone is a very poor way to identify products which, by their very nature, vary significantly in mass, density and quantity.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Probably - but does it ONLY use weight or does it analyse the image as well?

the camera seems to be focused more on me when I'm scanning than the products I'm scanning. In my store it certainly can't see anything in the packing area/weighing scale. I believe it does only use weight.

If i find an unusually large banana, put it through as a single banana and pop it on the scale, the machine will know that it's a bit too heavy for one banana. A red light flashes and a member of staff will check that it's just one banana and tell the machine to ignore the weight of that particular banana by pressing a button on the screen that says 'ignore weight'.

presta

Guru
There are too many people who live in a vicinity. The less people there are, I think the more likely they are to talk to each other.
Remember the scene with Crocodile Dundee walking through New York saying hello to everyone he passes? ^_^
the camera seems to be focused more on me
Exactly, the only cameras I've seen are the ones pointing at my fizzog, not the scale.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If i find an unusually large banana, put it through as a single banana and pop it on the scale, the machine will know that it's a bit too heavy for one banana. A red light flashes and a member of staff will check that it's just one banana and tell the machine to ignore the weight of that particular banana by pressing a button on the screen that says 'ignore weight'.
This happened to me today with a top I picked up in Aldi's middle isle.
The till thought the item was too light (labelled as fleece), so the operator pressed ignore weight.
Exactly, the only cameras I've seen are the ones pointing at my fizzog, not the scale
I'm pretty sure the camera is to match the transaction with a face, in case of a discrepancy at the exit.
If one presses no receipt, how else could the staff check that a customer paid for everything?

Top Bottom