Cyclepath gates

taxing

Well-Known Member
I don't know how they look in the rest of the country, but ours are like this: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...w1ltGM1fKVYyAW8NhA8eAA&cbp=12,117.17,,0,25.45

I'm bad at going through them. I slow right down and scoot along with one foot on the floor. Embarrassing. Do you have any tips on how I could get through a bit faster, or at least without having to put my foot down? I have to go through at least ten of these n a trip that I make twice a week, so they're a regular obstacle for me.
 

adds21

Rider of bikes
Location
North Somerset
Don't get me started on cyclepath gates. There are several (like this) near me, and I can't even fit my handlebars though some of them. I must remember to make a note of which ones and write to someone. I'm getting fed up of lifting my bike over them!
 

jimboalee

New Member
Location
Solihull
Cyclepath and canal tow path gates are designed ( or should be ) so that a bicycle can be pushed through, a wheelchair can be wheeled through but a Motorcross motorbike can't get through.

Most fail this miserably.
 
These have to be my least favourite. Shoulder-bashing, crank clattering and a cattle grid, all in one fell swoop. And the other day I had the added complication of a couple of teenage girls sitting on the barriers too...
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
User10119 said:
These have to be my least favourite. Shoulder-bashing, crank clattering and a cattle grid, all in one fell swoop. And the other day I had the added complication of a couple of teenage girls sitting on the barriers too...
Ugh! Makes mental note not to go to Hob Moor. I'm useless at narrow barriers and have a cattle grid phobia.

I have found that my trike is the only cycle I have that will go through the barrier at one end of the Stamford Bridge viaduct - it's the sort with two plates that tilt inwards, so the top is too narrow to get bars through without stopping and jiggling them sideways. But the trike is low enough to get through at the bottom - just.
 
Arch said:
I have found that my trike is the only cycle I have that will go through the barrier at one end of the Stamford Bridge viaduct - it's the sort with two plates that tilt inwards, so the top is too narrow to get bars through without stopping and jiggling them sideways. But the trike is low enough to get through at the bottom - just.
The other one that fits through is my boy's bike. This may be because he only has 24" wheels, of course.... and I'm fairly sure that many wheelchairs wouldn't fit. Stooopid design.
 

ian turner

Veteran
Location
Leicestershire
The ones with the triangle shaped gap with two flat plates at the top wide enough apart for a rider to fit through assuming they're not riding the largest frames as then the handlebars won't fit under :cheers:
 
ian turner said:
The ones with the triangle shaped gap with two flat plates at the top wide enough apart for a rider to fit through assuming they're not riding the largest frames as then the handlebars won't fit under :ohmy:
Just don't forget to take hands off the hoods! :shy:
 

Ben1982

New Member
Here's our shocking ones... my bike can't even fit properly in the "hood" or whatever you call it, to actually swing the gate past. If I ever went through one again (unlikely) I would probably try lifting my bike over the ped bit.
 

Ranger

New Member
Location
Fife borders
Jeez, I recognise so many of those. The problem you are facing is that of slowing down motorbikes/mini-motos whilst still allowing legitimate use of a routexx(

To be honest if you can come up with a better design most rights of way/countryside officers will come and give you a big, wet kiss:blush:
 
Top Bottom