cyclesafetytechnologies.com - a really terrible idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I came across this idea in a Twitter thread; it's a mobile phone app that cyclists and motorists install. Motorists are then alerted if they are in close proximity of a cyclist that also has the app installed.

You'll all be pleased to know that it's free for three months and then is charged at 79p per month thereafter.

On Twitter its "inventor" has stated that in the event of a collision between a motorist using the app and a cyclist without the app the "the responsibility will rest with the cyclist".

What an un-farking-believably shoot idea.

https://cyclesafetytechnologies.com/

I might create an app that reminds me not to punch idiots in the face. If they don’t have the same app confirming they’re not idiots, it’s really their fault if I punch them in the face.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
And he's been roundly told off by police for his nonsensical claim, as well as the illegality of mounting a device in the windshield so as to obstruct vision ahead.

The guy's deluded if he thinks he will make this work as there are too many flaws and oversights.
Despite his claim of being spurred into action after witnessing a woman crushed by a lorry, he's not interested in road safety; he thinks he's found a way to monetise a tragedy.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
From his FAQ section:

"Your cyclist or motorcyclist icon will automatically change to red and a voice will instruct the driver to please be careful please be careful cyclist or motorcyclist is very close by.
The voice instructions will continue till you the cyclist or motorcyclist are at the safe distance of 100 yards."

How long would this app remain switched on in a lorry in, say, his home town of London, if it parrots out a long warning voice for each and every cyclist or motorcyclist within a radius of 100 yards?
Any driver would chuck it out of the window!

Drago

Legendary Member
On Twitter its "inventor" has stated that in the event of a collision between a motorist using the app and a cyclist without the app the "the responsibility will rest with the cyclist.

The inventor is something that rhymes with "fell bend". If some twit scoops me off why should I be held responsible simply because I don't own a smartphone?

I fervently hope that it is discovered that smartphones cause anal incontinence, and this chap succumbs after a really large vindaloo. Eejit.

tom73

Guru
What the ...... snake oil has just gone digital. Just in case it don't work you can also buy hi vis branded up that is @ 29.99+vat ... Bargain think i will order two.

icowden

Veteran
It's bizarre. Firstly it only works if all drivers are using the app and have their phone on display so they are being distracted from the road.
Secondly it relies on GPS which is incredibly unreliable as a precision positioning tool given that it can bounce around in built up areas.
Luckliy it has no downloads or reviews as far as I can see.

Looks like Surrey Police have now chipped in to point out that their argument is fallacious and that all responsibility lies with the driver and that the app could potentially be illegal (must be audible not visual, must not be a distraction, must not be in the windscreen etc).

Top Bottom