Cyclescheme question (sorry)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisz

Über Member
apologies if this is in the wrong section (I'm sure a Mod can wield his/her lightsabre and move it accordingly :biggrin:)

Our place of work has just got onboard with the Cyclescheme thingy. Too late for me, having just spent the best part of £3k last year.

However, does the scheme only work for complete bikes or can I use it to purchase upgraded components (perhaps in collusion with my LBS)?

I really need(?) to spend around £650 to up-grade to Campag 11speed SR :biggrin: - is there a way of doing this via the scheme?

TAI :smile:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Chris- they need details of what you're buying on the form so probably not. I suspect employers will be looking at kitting people out with full complete or custom made bikes.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
what parts do you need to upgarde? are you wanting to get a whole grouset? might be worth shopping around- Ribble take ages to send stuff out but might have a good deal for you?

Norm

Most of this will be down to the specifics of your company's scheme. You can buy just about anything cycle related (bikes or "safety equipment) within the tax regs but some companies restrict your freedoms significantly.

The main thing to bear in mind is that the C2W scheme is for the loan of the equipment only, they might want it back, and the bike is going to be used "mostly for cummuting purposes, isn't it? :biggrin:

Check your company's C2W policy, it should tell you if there are any limitations. If none are mentioned, you should be ok.

PBancroft

I bought a new bike outside of the scheme, because my employer still hasn't introduced it. They do plan to - sometime. I asked if I could purchase safety equipment such as lights, clothing or a new helmet and was told that was fine.

Different schemses seem to offer different options. I have seen guys get wheels, groupsets etc on ours. Not to sure if it actually allows this, but its been happening anyway.
Seems that they just have a word with the local LBS guy and sort it that way, EG apply for voucher of £500 and present it to LBS for the wheels. No one ever asks what bike you have bought!
As I say perhaps not strictly within the rules, but it happens.

Oh by the way im not suggesting its morally right, just before the slagging off starts!

RSV_Ecosse

Couple of guys at my work have bought upgraded wheels and groupsets etc in the past so it certainly is possible.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
If there's no legal restriction, just company policy, then perhaps specifying your desired components fitted to a crappy £20 secondhand frame would meet the letter of the policy?

It is possible to get wheels etc as said before you just need to get a friendly LBS to agree to it. It is not suposed to happen but alot of places do it. It's a really good chance to get some really good upgrades for your bike.

Top Bottom