Shwalbe winter studded tyre question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
I have a pair of above tyres for the occasional icy winter commutes and I am wondering if I removed the studs from the two central line's of treads and replaced them in the two outer ones and then run them at low enough pressure when icy to allow the studs to contact the road surface when icy in the morning and blow the tyres to say 40-50 psi coming home when no longer icy to "retract" the studs , would this work does anyone know.Slightly odd ball question I know but ya never know.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't bother. They will still be slow. I have snow studs with spikes in the outer tread, they are still slow, and still contact the road.

Removing won't be easy and youll likely not get them in properly without the tool (I have the tool and spare studs - not that I've lost any).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Also, your choice is fit tyres when you know it's going to be cold, then swap back - time consuming.

Ride with them all winter

Stick em on some spare wheels then swap in 5 minutes at most if the weather is icy.

I used to ride all winter with them, but this year I've gone with spare wheels with the tyres on.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I wouldn't bother, they ride fine on non icy surfaces, in fact you're supposed to ride them for 40km on non icy surfaces to bed in the studs. I think they also recommend lower pressures when it is icy (more studs contact the surface) and higher pressures for when it isn't.

I have mine set up on a second bike so it is ready all winter but I quite often use it when it isn't icy, just in case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Ideally it I'd have a spare bike with them on , we get so little of icy weather round here it would hardly see any use, a spare set of wheels would be good but I have a SP dynamo hub up front and various setups at the back, I like to experiment, so wouldn't be so straightforward . What I am looking to do is prolong the life of the studs and quiet them down at bit they are annoyingly noisy.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I wouldn't bother, they ride fine on non icy surfaces, in fact your supposed to ride them for 40km on non icy surfaces to bed in the studs. I think they also recommend lower pressures when it is icy (more studs contact the surface) and higher pressures for when it isn't.

I have mine set up on a second bike so it is ready all winter but I quite often use it when it isn't icy, just in case.

I do seem to ride them much more on non icy conditions and although taking more effort they are fine if rather noisy it feels like the studs are wearing away in front of my eyes but perhaps they are tougher than I think .

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Ideally it I'd have a spare bike with them on , we get so little of icy weather round here it would hardly see any use, a spare set of wheels would be good but I have a SP dynamo hub up front and various setups at the back, I like to experiment, so wouldn't be so straightforward . What I am looking to do is prolong the life of the studs and quiet them down at bit they are annoyingly noisy.

The studs will last years, I don't know how old my tyres are I've had them that long. I take my studded tyres off in the summer and the bike becomes my summer back up/utility bike.

I like the noise, especially if on a share path as people know you are coming up behind them before you need to let them know ^_^

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
The studs will last years, I don't know how old my tyres are I've had them that long. I take my studded tyres off in the summer and the bike becomes my summer back up/utility bike.

I like the noise, especially if on a share path as people know you are coming up behind them before you need to let them know ^_^

That's good to know that they last , I used them for the first time last year and had visions of wearing the studs down in no time . Your right about everyone hearing you coming, it's an odd sound , like riding over sharp crackling ice but only when not on ice.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I think if you're prepared to go to those lengths, you'd be better off buying a cheap pair of wheels and just swapping wheels as necessary per weather.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When they suddenly become quite you are on ice. Just get used to them, and a little extra effort pays dividends.
Not always quiet. I've ridden north a few times, wondering why I bothered using the spare bike with those tyres on, only to see on my southbound ride home all the ice patches I failed to notice.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I have a pair of above tyres for the occasional icy winter commutes and I am wondering if I removed the studs from the two central line's of treads and replaced them in the two outer ones and then run them at low enough pressure when icy to allow the studs to contact the road surface when icy in the morning and blow the tyres to say 40-50 psi coming home when no longer icy to "retract" the studs , would this work does anyone know.Slightly odd ball question I know but ya never know.

I have a Schwalbe Snow Stud tyre that I occasionally use*. That tyre has no studs near the centre-- the idea is that you reduce the pressure to get them to bite. I've never used it like that so whether it works or not I don't know! I've had it ages and haven't lost a single stud. I keep it on a spare wheel for quick fitting.

*** edit *** I missed fossyants post about experience with these tyres.

*I only use it after it has snowed where I will be dealing with compressed snow and ice- not everytime it is around or below freezing. I follow the bus routes when it's cold and ice is not generally an issue. For snow I have it up front and use a 'cross-style mud tyre on the rear at low pressure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I have a Schwalbe Snow Stud tyre that I occasionally use*. That tyre has no studs near the centre-- the idea is that you reduce the pressure to get them to bite. I've never used it like that so whether it works or not I don't know! I've had it ages and haven't lost a single stud. I keep it on a spare wheel for quick fitting.

*** edit *** I missed fossyants post about experience with these tyres.

*I only use it after it has snowed where I will be dealing with compressed snow and ice- not everytime it is around or below freezing. I follow the bus routes when it's cold and ice is not generally an issue. For snow I have it up front and use a 'cross-style mud tyre on the rear at low pressure.

This is what I've heard others talking about useing these tyres on temporary icy situations with varying the tyre pressures and I also try to judge the conditions to suit them, as you say not dry frosty conditions but more compacted ice and snow.
I've just been experimenting with them out in our yard at work on sheet ice and while they are affective and maintain some control it would be a big mistake to get complacent thinking you were safe particularly in the dark when you are guessing what the road surface is like , my guess would be hitting a patch of sheet ice on a corner or steep camber would still result in a fall if not useing a good dollop of caution .

I find studs absolutely necessary in icy conditions and the performance is outstanding IMO. Winter around here is tough as it is largely a mix of ice, snow, and bare pavement. I do find that the studs wear down a bit and are likely not quite as effective as they do. I have also lost a few however they are easily replaced. For me, another front rim with the studded tire and quick release that allow for quick tire changes according to conditions would be ideal.

Top Bottom