Need better tyres. 3 punctures in a month during bin strikes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Having gone over 12 months without a puncture on my cheap cheap Vittoria tyres (700x28) I've had 3 punctures in the last month because of A the rains of winter arriving and B: The bin strikes leaving Glasgow and absolute riot underfoot(wheel).
Can someone recommend me a suitable "winter commuting tyre". 700x28. Im 75% road, 25% tow path. Something with genuinely good puncture resistance but not ludicrously heavy (don't mind a bit of extra weight). Something with a bit or winter grip but still a road tyre. And something not costing the earth.

thanks.

Alex321

Veteran
Well I was getting punctures almost weekly on my previous tyres, but haven't had one since I fiitted Specialized Armadillo a couple of months ago, in a 700x28 size.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard. Not as heavy as Marathon Plus, but with excellent puncture protection.
I get mine from Spa Cycles at a very reasonable price, and Aberdonians do like “reasonable prices”!!!

These are great but just a little too "tready" for me. It's really mostly road. But thanks.

SGG on a bike

Durano Plus gets my vote. Never had a puncture with them. Wiggle have them at reduced price at the mo, just snapped up a 25c pair for £52. Not sure if they have 28s though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Durano Plus gets my vote. Never had a puncture with them. Wiggle have them at reduced price at the mo, just snapped up a 25c pair for £52. Not sure if they have 28s though.

The 25's are more 28 size anyway.

Juliansou

No complaints from me from my vittoria Rubino pro ( if you wanted to stay within the brand?). They’re a couple of notches up from the basic Vittoria. Roll pretty well and I’m on 0 punctures (oh bo@@#* - what have I just said!). I think from memory about £20 each?

Top Bottom