What type of bike and tyre for your commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, having a dilemma as to whether buy a road bike or a gravel bike. I need one to all of my commute in built up areas in Ireland, leisurely rides at the weekend, training etc.

What type of bike and tyres do you use for your commute ?

Edit: thanks for the advice all. Managed to get a trek domane al2 disc that can take 32mm tyres with mudguards and 35mm without. Very happy !

Last edited:
Commute - 5 days in built areas
Weekend leisure / training - 2 days

One option is get gravel bike first which is in-between and with more options. You can get a road bike later to enjoy the more hours and days you commute.

Once you get the road bike, you can get even wider tyres for your gravel.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I commute mostly on a Specialized Tricross Comp.

I use 25mm Continental Gatorskins but when they need to be replaced I’ll probably go 28 or 32mm as I have the clearance. In my experience they are very puncture resistant and last 7-9000 miles!
It has been said that they can be slippy in the wet, I don’t corner fast in wet conditions so haven’t had that experience.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
How long is the commute?
No longer commute, but most recently I used a steel Genesis roadbike with rack and mudguards on 25mm Gatorkins, but I’ve used a bunch of bikes over the years but never more than 32mm

Last edited:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I use Vittoria Randoneurs for commute, utility and leisure rides but it’s all 99% tarmac and I don’t do off-roading.

Yes f I were in your shoes I’d try something like a Kenda Kross.

rivers

How far can I go?
I have both a gravel and road bike. My gravel bike is my main commuter. For commuting I have 32mm pirelli cinturato velos. Brilliant tyres for commuting, they roll well and have excellent puncture protection. As my current gravel bike is a replacement for a trashed gravel bike, I now have 2 sets of wheels, so the other set has 40mm gravel tyres. On my road bike, I have 25mm GP5000S.

Get a bike for worst case scenario. Are you riding in the dark on wet roads with potholes? I woukd suggest min 28mm tyres (32 even better) + full bolt on mudguards and disk brakes. If you want to shop on the way home get a bolt on luggage rack.
You can still fit narrower tyres, go mudguardless and rack-free if you want bit having threaded eyelets gives you optoons and added versatility.

We need more info really but if I had to choose only one bike I'd take my gravel bike. Get one with a double chainring so you're not losing gears.

You should be able to fit nice wide tyres for grip and comfort.

If it's a commuter bike I'd fit proper long mudguards too all year round.

OP
OP
W

weebeansysbro

Regular
How long is the commute?
No longer commute, but most recently I used a steel Genesis roadbike with rack and mudguards on 25mm Gatorkins, but I’ve used a bunch of bikes over the years but never more than 32mm

will be moving flat soon so not sure how long the commute will be!

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
If you only have room etc for one bike I'd say gravel, unless its all road where you live.
I commute 12 miles a day on a road bike with 25mm tyres and occasionally go on the mtb if I fancy riding the track to my girlfriends afterwards.
Having said that have found recently (mainly from getting lost) that a road bike with 25mm tyres will handle most terrain barring serious mud with a bit of care.

Top Bottom