What type of bike and tyre for your commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wooger

Just fitted Hutchison Fusion 5 performance 11storm tyres - tubeless 28mm.

That is for a journey of about 15 miles each way, 2/3 of which is rural back roads.
How did these work out? I used those tyres for a while, but found them the most puncture prone thing I'd ever used, even when almost new. And same when using the tubeless version also.

Alex321

Veteran
How did these work out? I used those tyres for a while, but found them the most puncture prone thing I'd ever used, even when almost new. And same when using the tubeless version also.

Not very well.

They seemed Ok at first, but because their minimum pressure (as specified on the sidewall) is 75psi, they didn't seal all that well when they did get a puncture, and I couldn't get plugs to stay in at all.

I've gone back to tubes for the moment (Specialized Armadillos). Although they are definitely slower, I haven't had a puncture since I put them on mid-July.

Wooger

Not very well.

They seemed Ok at first, but because their minimum pressure (as specified on the sidewall) is 75psi, they didn't seal all that well when they did get a puncture, and I couldn't get plugs to stay in at all.

I've gone back to tubes for the moment (Specialized Armadillos). Although they are definitely slower, I haven't had a puncture since I put them on mid-July.

Yeah, I feel like even gp5000 & Schwalbe Pro One are much more puncture proof than those Hutchinson tyres.

I commute on a BTwin Triban 500, a road bike and I've got a pro 4 Endurance on the rear which replaced a Decathlon own brand tyre. I've not worn out the Decathlon front tyre yet so that's still on it. Over the last two years with work from home commuting has been a bit sporadic.

I swapped it 2 and a half months later (@6,266miles) for a Kinesis T2 road bike I had sitting in storage (preferring to use the Triban when I worked in Cambridge). Pro 4 Endurance tyres are still my preference.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you commute in quite heavy traffic, I'd go for a road bike with 25mm tyres. You should be able to stay a bit nimble when daft stuff gets thrown at you. I've used Rubinos for years and they survive pretty well on the mean streets of London. Cheap too.

annirak

Veteran
Given the weather, I couldn’t help myself…

1670914259765.jpeg

froze

Über Member
I have a bunch of bikes, but the one I chose mostly for commuting is my 1984 Fuji Club. The tires I use on that bike are Specialized Roubaix Pro tires, they're not bad tires, they last a long time and are pretty flat resistant, not as flat resistant as the heavier tires are like my Schwalbe Almotion tires on my touring bike, but I haven't gotten a flat on them either! They combine two different lightweight flat-resistant belts, then on the rear tire I installed a Rhinodillo flat liner, but not on the front. Most flats occur on the rear, and I don't want to be bothered with changing a flat on my way to work, so that's why the liner is only in the rear; if I do get a flat on the front, I can repair that in 5 minutes since there is no mechanicals in the front to fool with. Because I only commute 5 miles to work, at night I usually take a 12 mile detour home. That bike is my least expensive bike so if by some remote chance it got stolen, I wouldn't be crying over it.

Those Spec tires are on sale right now I found out, for about half price.

Jon in Sweden

I'm about to start a new job (next week) with a 25-30km commute (depending on which road/gravel route I take).

I've opted to set up a 2011 vintage Caadx up as my commuter. It's equipped with the strongest wheels I have (I'm 6ft 8", 104kg and break rear wheels quite often) with Schwalbe Marathon plus tyres. The idea being that I go slightly slower but without the risk of punctures. They also have enough tread to allow me to take on some of the smoother gravel on the way home.

In winter, the bike will be equipped with studded tyres for the snow.

Here is the bike and a pictures of the road and gravel on the routes I'll be taking.

_nc_ohc=IKpLmYhV1J4AX9W2PxM&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.jpg

Attachments

• Still 2.png
    Still 2.png
    348.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 309983262_779452276500256_968227107149848653_n.jpg
    309983262_779452276500256_968227107149848653_n.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 4

rivers

How far can I go?
As the weather has become nice again, I'm using my summer road bike with schwalbe Pro one tyres. In the winter, I'll be going back to my trusty pirelli cinturato velos on my gravel bike (which is currently shod with pirelli cinturato ms for the rough stuff)

Jon in Sweden

What a splendid looking commute route AND you won Eurovision!

Haha! ^_^

I don't follow Eurovision, but yes, I did hear that!

The commute is lovely. The job itself (sawmill operator, something I've done before in the UK) isn't enormously thrilling, but I'm very excited about the commute. The shortest route (about 50% gravel) is 25km and the longest, fairly direct route is about 31km. And there are another 3 options inbetween.

Top Bottom