What type of bike and tyre for your commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
My commute (going back 2 days a week from start of October, will be I a couple of times before then) will be on my main bike - a Cube Attain GTC race, fitted with mudguards, but no rack (will carry a backpack).

Just fitted Hutchison Fusion 5 performance 11storm tyres - tubeless 28mm.

That is for a journey of about 15 miles each way, 2/3 of which is rural back roads.

My commuter is a 2017 Ribble CGR, the original 'lime-green' frame model

I originally had Schwalbe Durano DD on it, as a '28' section
They rolled nicely, gave a decent enough air-chamber for comfort & rim-protection, & I don't feel the need for anything fatter

It's been on a pair of Marathon for about 18 months, which haven't had a single puncture
There!, that's me having poked Fate with a big stick!!

They cope with some fairly grotty conditions, both on & off-road
Riding home from work, I pass along a road that borders a housing estate that will create a lot of muck on the roads (3,000 houses in total, if I remember correctly!!)
Plus, I ride through the woods, light-dependant, & they cope well, with a fair amount of mud!!

Hope you can see this?

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10222496341429585&set=a.10220919986341693

It still didn't clog!

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10222496346829720&set=a.10220919986341693

froze

Über Member
For that Domane you got, I would use the same tire I use for my Masi Giramondo 700c gravel/touring bike and that's the Schwalbe Marathon Almotion Evolution tire 700x38, why those tires you scream? They have the lowest rolling resistance of any tire in that category, not only that but they have a very high puncture resistance rating, as well as high durability.

However, I don't usually ride the Masi to work, I usually ride an 84 Fuji Club, with 25c tires, for that bike I choose the Specialized Roubaix Pro tires, these tires aren't bad, I'm only riding on them because I got a sale of one tire for regular price and the second for half off, and at the time they were $40 each, so I got 2 for $60, so for $30 each that's not bad at all, so I bought 3 sets. There are so many good tires in that size range it's difficult to judge which is the best one, but the durability of those Specialized tires have been quite good, are they the best for commuting? I don't honestly know!

simongt

Guru
Super Galaxy with Marathon Plus or Fox with Schwalbe Delta Cruisers for my commute. Both can easliy handle blacktop and moderately rough tracks. :okay:

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Generic hybrid bike (e.g. Decathlon, Pinnacle)

Schwalbe Marathon 28 or 25

Also consider tyre liners. You can fit these to cheap tyres and turn them in puncture proof.

I've had bikes with tyres so worn out they had 5mm holes in the tyre and still did not get punctures (when using tyre liners).

E.g.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Zefal-Z-Liner-Tyre-Liner_42275.htm?sku=113449&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bing_shopping&msclkid=8f952d0b72461d662f5e4f68d3e0d9b4&utm_term=4578366463157509&utm_content=Inner Tubes

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
I think my 'final' bit of commuter gear is now on the Boardman hybrid eBike, panniers. Arrived too late for today, but will be used on Monday.....cannot wait (feels strange saying that :laugh:).

The Marathon tyres are working like a dream, not much road feel, but no punctures since they have been on versus a x2 punctures once in just one day!

52070806268_e14f848dc7_k_d.jpg

tinywheels

Über Member
quick update
those continental tyres I had fitted are awesome.
they roll and corner sublimely
I'm heavy but 100psi is a nice ride as far as I'm concerned
they look sexy to boot.

I only have a short commute, 8 miles, which is across a city. I therefore prefer a flat bar bike that gives me a more upright position and, consequently, a better view of what is happening ahead. Mounts for mudguards are also essential.

Tyre wise I’m using Continental Contact Plus which gives a better puncture resistance compared to what came with the bike

Alex321

Veteran
quick update
those continental tyres I had fitted are awesome.
they roll and corner sublimely
I'm heavy but 100psi is a nice ride as far as I'm concerned
they look sexy to boot.

What are they?

Continental make many different models, and I can't see anything in the photo to say which model these are.

Top Bottom