Cycling 40 Years Ago

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
1685623198427.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So written in 1935, looking back to 1895, when there were "no motor vehicles on British roads" and between that time and the author's came "an entirely new technique in road construction" (presumably Tarmacadam). Huge change. And the first world war too.

It's worth pondering that 40 years ago now was 1983.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
40 years ago cycle commuting in London was ... er ... not much different to what it's like now.

Actually that's not entirely fair because there are cycle lanes and superhighways and stuff. However I'm not actually familiar with any of them as the routes I used when I commuted (pre covid - I don't any more) didn't coincide with much/any fancy cycling infra. It certainly doesn't feel any different to how it did then. The Elephant and Castle still gives me just as much of a nervous breakdown as it ever did.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have used the cycling superhighways a bit. The main thing I noticed was how long they keep you sitting at lights. It can be nearly 5 minutes.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
In 1983 (40 years ago), I was a year away from getting my first 10 speed racer. At the time I had a 24” single speed tracker bike, with cowhorns and knobbly tyres. I was also pretty decent at jumps, pulling long wheelies, and riding my bike whilst sitting on the bars. If I did any of that now, I’d probably do myself a mischief.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some things haven't changed
1685702521306.png

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
Some things haven't changed
View attachment 692574

Most of the arguments were just the same when there were four times the road deaths, and bikes outnumbered cars by 4 to 1. It might be argued that motorways are the car network they were advocating, but they were never going to make any difference, because drivers still have to get from home to the motorway. I note that they point out that cycle paths just create the hazard of an additional junction at every side road.

1685709987467.jpeg

1685710016278.jpeg

1685710033288.jpeg

1685710054287.jpeg

1685710079663.jpeg

1685710102104.jpeg

Windle

Über Member
So written in 1935, looking back to 1895, when there were "no motor vehicles on British roads" and between that time and the author's came "an entirely new technique in road construction" (presumably Tarmacadam). Huge change. And the first world war too.

It's worth pondering that 40 years ago now was 1983.

1983 was the year I started riding seriously (seriously other than riding bikes as a kid). I had an old hand painted orange Carlton with Raleigh stickers ^_^. Probably a ten speed with cotter pin cranks! One of the first decent (solo) rides I did was down to Seaton Carew and back, down a much different to now A689, a round trip of about twenty miles, with a bottle of Kia Ora squash. I seem to recall having sausage and chips on the seafront. No wonder I got into cycling properly after that :laugh:. Happy times.

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
I wouldn't want to cycle in Hutton-Le-Hole anyway, sheep wandering about everywhere, I think they've got the freedom to graze anywhere.
Sheep roam free in most places where there's open fellside, they're not usually a problem as long as you don't get between the littluns and mum, otherwise they bolt across the road in front of you.

In 1983 (40 years ago), I was a year away from getting my first 10 speed racer. At the time I had a 24” single speed tracker bike, with cowhorns and knobbly tyres. I was also pretty decent at jumps, pulling long wheelies, and riding my bike whilst sitting on the bars. If I did any of that now, I’d probably do myself a mischief.
I've only owned 8 bikes in my life, and I bought the 7th one in 1981.

Top Bottom