cycling accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spaws

Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice......
I was knocked off my bike last year and currently making a claim.
I spent 24 days in hospital, no broken bones (thankfully) but had severe bruising down my right side, septicaemia and a blood clot in my left internal jugular. I was off work for 7 weeks in total and had to take Warfarin for 6 months.My life and my families has been put on hold worrying about the blood clot in my neck.

The insurers have made me an offer of £10,000. My solicitor thinks this is a good offer, but I'm not sure if its enough after all the trauma I've suffered. I'm not trying to be greedy, just get a fair and true amount so was wondering if anybody else has suffered similar accidents/injuries and what they may have received.

Any advice or views would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

redcard

Veteran
I got hit by a car last year, suffered a broken collar-bone and a concussion. I was off work for 4 weeks, bike was written off, spent the morning in hospital. After 6 weeks my shoulder was pretty much 95% healed.
I also got an offer of £10K.

young Ed

Veteran
does this 10k cover bike aswell because i am assuming it was totalled and some bikes being worth what they are could make a big difference to the claim but i would do the maths and see how much you have lost financially due to loss of work and how much your trauma is worth and injuries and your travel expenses lost and time lost etc and then add a bit more on to cover all smaller unaccounted for costs and other things and it may well add to over 10k
Cheers Ed

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
As above take all the changes into account. Life insurence? The blood clot will see a nice spike in that for example. Make sure to take past and future losses into account and then stick it too them as that is what their client has done for you and future you. I think all costs covered past and future, then 10-25% ontop is not a bad deal.

400bhp

Guru
As above take all the changes into account. Life insurence? The blood clot will see a nice spike in that for example. Make sure to take past and future losses into account and then stick it too them as that is what their client has done for you and future you. I think all costs covered past and future, then 10-25% ontop is not a bad deal.

Not necessarily.

400bhp

Guru
More on the likely side though rather than unlikely

No, not really.

If you have a term assurance policy (which most life assurance policies are written), i.e. one that you take out over a set term (with t&c's set at the outset) then it's unlikely to have any effect.

Additionally, if the OP is an employed person, then most group life assurance will have pretty relaxed terms and conditions (they go on the assumption that if you're fit enough to work you're not about to pop your clogs).

OP
OP
S

spaws

Thanks for the posts
Just to let you know the vein with the clot has closed up completely and have been informed by doctors that this is ok and wont effect day to day life
I have put in a bill for about £1800 for loss of earnings, bike and kit replacement and all the small things so there only offering about 6k for personal injury.

How's the shoulder now Redcard and did you except the 10k?

For a provoked blood clot like this, hopefully there should not be any long term problems. Its obviously a shock for you & your family, but you got diagnosed, treated and survived. If there are not any long term problems, 10K sounds OK.

Freds Dad

Veteran
What will happen if you refuse it? Will they come back with a higher offer or will they refuse to go higher and let you take it to court?
Are you prepared to do this and the stress that comes with it? Was the driver prosecuted for the accident and if so this will support any court costs.
Who is paying your legal bill?

What you do depends on your attitude to risk, justice system and life in general. This is what I would do. It depends on the following attitude.
I don't trust lawyers under any circumstances.
I have some respect for justice system, meaning courts and tribunals. They are trained to a high degree to attain some form of consistency. I can live with their decision.
I don't like this accident to ruin my life. I have seen so many people who has had minor accident (in my view your one is quite major) and their whole life is ruined as they have never been able to get out of that "victim and compensation" mentality.
So here is what I do

I would ask a court/ tribunal to decide on your case.
Since your lawyer has asked you to accept the offer, I will find another lawyer and not employ him.
Whatever happens, you will not be out of court.
You can live with the knowledge that what you got it what you deserved.
Otherwise you will always think that you could have had a better offer.
Now you can move on....

OP
OP
S

spaws

I don't know what will happen if I refuse it, I've got to speak to my lawyer on Monday. The driver wasn't prosecuted as no witnesses came forward, but the police were on scene and he received a caution.
Lawyer fees are covered up to 60k with a policy that came with my home insurance and as they have admitted liability I shouldn't have to pay anyway
Thanks for all your opinions it's given me lots to think about

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
A friend in the insurance industry once gave me an excellent piece of advice I have used more than once ...

Offer 1 is what they hope to get away with.
Offer 2 is what they think that can get away with
Offer 3 is the most they will go to without taking it to court

Always turn down offers 1 and 2.