cycling accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
To the op, ignore this. There is no way some layman on a forum can second guess an insurer, tell you what a court will decide or that a lawyer that knows your case is wrong. Not all 3, sorry.
but of course, if you're an insurance company you're not gonna start at the top end of a scale when negotiating a claim are you? And this "layman" did work in personal injury for some years. Of course the choice is yours and we don't know all the ins and outs of your case but think carefully about accepting a first offer and discuss with your solicitor why he thinks this is acceptable. All I'm saying is don't let your solicitor be lazy coz the other side are paying.

boydj

Legendary Member
I think that £6k is not a lot for the trauma you have suffered. I think it's worth at least a serious discussion with the lawyer on the impact that this incident has had on your life - even though no bones were broken.

classic33

Leg End Member
Absolute nonsense.
My case took around 9 months to settle, and he certainly wasn't in any rush.
That was fast. Mine took over three years for the driver to be named, just before it was due to go to court.
Many on here, who've been involved in one, have said its a slow process. Many cases taking over three years to resolve.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Absolute nonsense.
My case took around 9 months to settle, and he certainly wasn't in any rush.
Nine months is incredibly short for a personal injury settlement. But no matter - if you're happy with the first offer, all is good, it's simply not an example I would recommend that anyone else follow.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Considering whiplash, which is completely unprovable, gets a minimum of £1500, I'd be looking for £20k minimum. 24 days in hospital!

Freds Dad

Veteran
Because we are living in a litigation society where people want money for any accident caused to them.

If you tripped over a paving stone 20 years ago you picked yourself up and got on with it. Today folk are straight on to no win no fee lawyers to see what how much money they can get because they didn't look where they were going.

Because we are living in a litigation society where people want money for any accident caused to them.

If you tripped over a paving stone 20 years ago you picked yourself up and got on with it. Today folk are straight on to no win no fee lawyers to see what how much money they can get because they didn't look where they were going.

And because of that one must perpetuate it by carrying on the tradition?

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
This is quite different from a trip or fall. Someone, deliberately or not, put this guy in hospital for 24 days. I look at compensation in these cases as, well, compensation. How much would someone have to pay you before you'd let them do this sort of damage to you? It'd be a hell of a lot more than £8000

classic33

Leg End Member

And a no-win, no-fee will not be the best informed on the matter. They will deal with the injury side first, possibly throwing in any losses such as the bike or damage to it afterwards/as a tag on.