Cycling after heart bypass op

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Stented 8 yrs ago, on Beta blockers, Aspirin, 2 kinds of Statin and an ACE inhibitor.
Take longer to warm-up than most (this is important) but once up to speed I can keep up with most of my non CHD peers.
Agree about keeping an eye on the weight, I really need to lose 2 stone that I've put on since stenting.
Cardio-rehab is great, take it easy and take their advice. An HRM is also a good investment in the early days.
The cold is not such a big issue, but I feel it more than I did, When on Nitrates in the early stages of recovery they make you feel cold anyhow. Just take extra care to wear the right kit and care also not to catch a chill when you stop. Warming down is also important.
Everybody is different, but you will be able to cycle again.
I can't put in big efforts like sprints and take it easy uphill, but can still cycle a lumpy 150 miler on a hot summers day and get a great kick out of it.
Agree with using a heart rate monitor.Early in rehab I used the turbo extensively as this enabled me to maintain an even heart rate. On the road your effort is often governed by the environment hills weather etc.

D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks for taking the time to reply Pawl. I am currently undergoing cardiac rehab, so I shall ask about that program. I was told to wait until 12 weeks post op also. Although they seem pleased with the progress I am making. How does everyone find the cold weather affects them? I'm conscious that my 12 weeks is up just as winter starts and have been told that I will find it more difficult when it's cold.

I feel the cold more than I did before the op, I find the most important thing for me when its cold is to warm up properly, the only time I can get grumbles is if I go to hard to early on a cold day.

Albert

Über Member
I had a big heart attack 7 years ago and didn't get clot busting drugs. I therefore sustained some permanent heart damage. Luckily I only needed stenting and have no underlying heart disease. I am on medication for the rest of my life for blood pressure and take a cocktail every morning, including Statins, beta blockers etc.
I was a heavy smoking couch potato before.
I have taken up cycling in a big way and have covered in excess of 20,000 miles with well over a million feet of climbing (I live in the hills of Mid-Wales) in spite of having several other health issues in the period since the heart attack.
Your heart situation sounds worse than mine, but I am sure that you (The OP) will be able to get to a good level again with patience.
Good Luck!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks for taking the time to reply Pawl. I am currently undergoing cardiac rehab, so I shall ask about that program. I was told to wait until 12 weeks post op also. Although they seem pleased with the progress I am making. How does everyone find the cold weather affects them? I'm conscious that my 12 weeks is up just as winter starts and have been told that I will find it more difficult when it's cold.
I got back on the bike on 18th October 2012 , eight weeks post op. Any form of major exertion before then was banned to allow the sternum to knit together. Personally, I found the rehab visits before I started cycling again to be a waste of time. Walking up and down a hospital corridor to the beat of an accelerating metronome seemed pretty idiotic, but I did a lot of walking anyway because they don't want you to drive either.
I had absolutely no problem with the cold winter weather which I cycled through daily. Good luck.

I had a heart attack and 3 stents fitted back in March.
The hospital gym had exercise bikes and it was using these during rehab that got me started with cycling.
I much prefer being out on the bike in the fresh air than doing the aerobic exercises in the gym.
The only thing is that in the gym I was supervised by trained cardiac staff, but out on the bike I'm on my own.
On a good day I can do 20 miles in a little over 2 hours, but can't seem to break that 10mph average.
It will come. At first I couldn't break 7.

The tablets are the main factor. My pulse doesn't go over 80, and at that rate not enough oxygen gets to the lower legs.

Most important part of a bike???? Yer GTN spray. ^_^

All the best,
Paul

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
On a good day I can do 20 miles in a little over 2 hours, but can't seem to break that 10mph average.
It will come. At first I couldn't break 7.

The tablets are the main factor. My pulse doesn't go over 80, and at that rate not enough oxygen gets to the lower legs.

Most important part of a bike???? Yer GTN spray. ^_^

All the best,
Paul

Interesting how we differ, I can clip along up to an average of 20mph over flat ground and my legs seem to function as well as they ever did (I always cycled). BUT, I've lost the ability to power my arms properly! I can't whisk a bowl of batter and struggle to do a large stir-fry because my arms seize-up through lack of oxygen.

Davidc

Guru
I'm another one. Heart attack 5 1/2 years ago, immediate bypass and on all the usual medications. I don't have heart failure, but heart output is lower than before it.

I rode a bike before the heart attack and was told that's probably why I was affected as little as I was. I now ride more and further and up more hills than I was before the heart attack but I'm slower, especially up hills, and like Fab Foodie take a while to warm up.

I take notice of the medical advice I've been given, with the advantage of having a doctor who's a cyclist, and that includes never using a HRM.

The great thing for me about taking most of my exercise on my bikes is that I enjoy cycling, and do as much as I reasonably can. Being told to do more exercise is no hardship.

Interesting how we differ, I can clip along up to an average of 20mph over flat ground and my legs seem to function as well as they ever did (I always cycled). BUT, I've lost the ability to power my arms properly! I can't whisk a bowl of batter and struggle to do a large stir-fry because my arms seize-up through lack of oxygen.

I can't whisk batter or do a stir-fry;
but that's nothing to do with my medical condition. :sad:

On a more serious note, O how I wish I could do a bit more, let alone 20mph.
If I could speed up I could possibly join a club and hang on to the stragglers.
I have spent my working life as a sheet metal worker/welder and consequently standing at a bench or machine.
Loads of upper body exercise but little leg work.
Doctors have said that exercise will increase blood flow and help clear my arteries hence I'm pinning my hopes on the biking.

Cheers
Paul

OP
OP
Effyb4

Effyb4

Veteran
I was speaking to the rehab nurse today about cycling. She seems to think that I will be fine and has invited me to do the London to Southend ride in June with some of the rehab team. This has given me a realistic goal to aim for and she has assured me that I am free to ring her, if I need to after rehab has finished. She has also referred me for a second cardiogram to see if my heart function has improved, as she is so pleased with the progress I am making. ^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

I was speaking to the rehab nurse today about cycling. She seems to think that I will be fine and has invited me to do the London to Southend ride in June with some of the rehab team. This has given me a realistic goal to aim for and she has assured me that I am free to ring her, if I need to after rehab has finished. She has also referred me for a second cardiogram to see if my heart function has improved, as she is so pleased with the progress I am making. ^_^

Good news well done

david k

Hi
In September I had a heart attack that required an emergency bypass operation. I was previously pretty fit and healthy and enjoyed cycling. I have been slowly recovering and started cardiac rehab this week. I have now been diagnosed as having heart failure, due to the damage to my heart, and will be on a cocktail of medication for the rest of my life. Fortunately I have been told that in about a months time I can start cycling again. Obviously I will be taking things very easy to begin with. I just wondered if anybody else on here has experience of cycling again after heart problems and what sort of fitness you are now able to achieve.

Hi, hope you recover ok

I had an irregular heart beat caused by an overactive thyroid, all sorted now but i still have a racing heart and it occasionally goes into an irregular rythem the day after having a heavy session. Ive read this is fairly common and it advises you not to drink, i need to search for an alternative cure!

I assume its something to do with blood pressure going up?

Solway53

Hi All
It's good to read all these accounts and so pleased to hear that Effyb4 is back on the bike...
I had a heart attack 'out of the blue' at the age of 52 in January 2013 whilst at a spinning class. Like so many others I was already a keen week-end cyclist, never smoked, good diet etc etc, and no prior symptoms. I too went to went to cardiac rehab for several weeks and found this a very good confidence boost. I had an angiogram which showed up some narrowing of the arteries but didn't need any stents or other procedures.
It took me a while to re-gain the confidence to get on the bike again - around April May time. I was gradually getting out more often and longer distances but was held back in the summer by anxiety/depression for which I am now taking some medication.
However, I am now more positive and cycling quite regularly and can happily do 30 or so miles no problem. I am on statins, clopidogrel, aspirin, lansoprazole and a blood pressure tablet. I am aiming to take my bike abroad next Spring - good for motivation over the winter months...
Like others on this thread I would say keep going, take a long view,and gradually build up and 'listen' to your body and adjust accordingly. Best wishes and thanks to you and all for this posting

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
16 months ago had mine, stent fitted, on the usual pills, probably fitter now than for a long time, just got to take it easy and listen to your body, i was lucky no heart damage i was back on the bike a week after coming out of hospital, never looked back feeling good and loving the rides, the only thing slowing me down now is the weather. Hope you recover quickly.^_^

Top Bottom