Cycling after heart bypass op

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Effyb4

Veteran
In September I had a heart attack that required an emergency bypass operation. I was previously pretty fit and healthy and enjoyed cycling. I have been slowly recovering and started cardiac rehab this week. I have now been diagnosed as having heart failure, due to the damage to my heart, and will be on a cocktail of medication for the rest of my life. Fortunately I have been told that in about a months time I can start cycling again. Obviously I will be taking things very easy to begin with. I just wondered if anybody else on here has experience of cycling again after heart problems and what sort of fitness you are now able to achieve.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
No, but I wish you the best of luck for your recovery; hopefully you'll be able to enjoy cycling again!

Bryony

Veteran
I've got coronary heart disease which is very severe and I've been told by my cardiologist to exercise as much as possible preferably at least an hour a day. You do have to build up slowly, slower than people without a heart problem. Your body is very good at telling you when you're doing too much so make sure you listen! When I started cycling I didn't push my self too hard to begin with but each time I got the bike I pushed a bit harder if I felt ok with that next time I again pushed a little bit harder and so on.

Having heart failure you are going to have to take it really easy to start with and you will probably find you get out if breath quite easily, and I doubt you will be able to get up to the fitness level you were at before this happened, but speak to your cardiac rehab and consultant and they should be able to come up with an exercise plan to get you as fit as possible.

So sorry about your health, but good luck getting back on your bike :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

talk to your doctors about what your doing, take it easy, build up slowly, be careful you don't over do things and stop instantly if you find you are running into problems, and most importantly enjoy your pedalling
I had angina in 2008, have 4 stents in my chest and I'm on symvastatin and low dose aspirin. My fitness levels are about 90-95% of what it was before I was ill.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had not had a coronary, but I was given a double bypass immediately after an investigative angiogram in August 2012. In fact, they wouldn't let me out of the hospital until they had operated. It came as a big surprise. I was told to stay off the bike for two months, and when that time was up, I asked the cardiologist what I was allowed to do. He said that I could ride as far and as fast as I wanted..."Probably a good idea to give the TdF a miss though...". We spent the rest of the consultation discussing what a nasty piece of work Lance Armstrong was.

Has it made a difference to my cycling? I'm never going to be any good because I'm old and have been unfit for most of my life, but I can now go up hills that I couldn't even contemplate when I was twenty five. It's fun, and I enjoy each day as it comes.

Very best wishes, Effyb4:cheers:

Tyke

Had a heart attack three years ago, no bypass just stent but after a steady start I found cycling a great help with the recovery, you just need to go easy and take things at your own pace, consult your doc about any problems you find and build up steady. Enjoy the ride and the recovery good luck with both.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
First heart attack 1998 whilst cycling :blush:on a fixed wheel bike, second 2006. IRD fitted 2011. Still cycling but don't use the fixed wheel bike as much. Bit slower and shorter distances than in the past but no less enjoyment. Took medical advice as to when to start cycling again re effort limits and precautions to take ie in company for first few months. My Cardiac consultant is very supportive regarding wishes and aspirations of his patients and has been a great help in overcoming my understandable trepidation. Still cycling and loving it^_^

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
5 stents, 2 balloon angioplasties. Last 2 stents just over 12 months ago. Low dose aspirin, Pravastatin. Perhaps fitter now than most of my adult life - certainly fitter than most my age (66), but suspect statins contribute to muscle weakness, and find hills a struggle. Eat a good diet, and keep your weight down.

OP
OP
Effyb4

Effyb4

Veteran
Thanks for the replies. It's good to hear of people enjoying cycling again after heart problems. I enjoyed the rehab session yesterday. It was good to feel my heart pumping again and I can't wait now to get back on the bike. I wasn't a fast cyclist before this happened, but it's good to know I can get some fitness back. My husband is a very keen cyclist and it will be good to go on (slow) rides together again. I did wonder if the medication would affect my energy levels. I'm on : aspirin, atorvastatin, clopidogrel, ivabradine, lansoprazole, nebivolol and rampiril. I will certainly take my cardiologist's advise and listen to my body.

Tyke

I`m on Aspirin, Atorvastatin, Ramipril and Bisoprolol they made me a bit drowsy to start but once I got used to them no problems and don`t see any difference to before I started taking them.

pawl

Legendary Member
In September I had a heart attack that required an emergency bypass operation. I was previously pretty fit and healthy and enjoyed cycling. I have been slowly recovering and started cardiac rehab this week. I have now been diagnosed as having heart failure, due to the damage to my heart, and will be on a cocktail of medication for the rest of my life. Fortunately I have been told that in about a months time I can start cycling again. Obviously I will be taking things very easy to begin with. I just wondered if anybody else on here has experience of cycling again after heart problems and what sort of fitness you are now able to achieve.
Sorry I am a bit late reading this.I had an aortic valve replacement plus a bypass on June 11. I was advised that it would be 12 weeks before I could cycle again. At my 6week review which took place at 7weeks I was advised as the sternum had healed and the heart was back in working condition I could get back on the bike after 8 weeks but to build up distance time by small increments.Currently I ride 5 times a week a minimum of 15 miles and maximum of 30 miles.
REHAB Glenfield hospital Leicestershire has a rehab program . Activate your heart which I followed consisting of walking and cycling for periods of 1-2 hours over a 5 day period for 6 weeks . It may be worth asking you rehab nurse if this is available in your area as University hospitals Lecester have sold the program to other HA.
I am now 16 weeks post op .Prior to my op I was never going to break any world records at72 years of age.I feel i am a bit below my pre op performance level .I use the turbo if the weather is not conducive to road cycling, i also do a hilly walk of aprox 2 hours once a week.
MEDICATION 1 Asprin 1 Beta blocker 1Statin daily.
Stick at it and most of all enjoy being back on the bike.

OP
OP
Effyb4

Effyb4

Veteran
Thanks for taking the time to reply Pawl. I am currently undergoing cardiac rehab, so I shall ask about that program. I was told to wait until 12 weeks post op also. Although they seem pleased with the progress I am making. How does everyone find the cold weather affects them? I'm conscious that my 12 weeks is up just as winter starts and have been told that I will find it more difficult when it's cold.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Stented 8 yrs ago, on Beta blockers, Aspirin, 2 kinds of Statin and an ACE inhibitor.
Take longer to warm-up than most (this is important) but once up to speed I can keep up with most of my non CHD peers.
Agree about keeping an eye on the weight, I really need to lose 2 stone that I've put on since stenting.
Cardio-rehab is great, take it easy and take their advice. An HRM is also a good investment in the early days.
The cold is not such a big issue, but I feel it more than I did, When on Nitrates in the early stages of recovery they make you feel cold anyhow. Just take extra care to wear the right kit and care also not to catch a chill when you stop. Warming down is also important.
Everybody is different, but you will be able to cycle again.
I can't put in big efforts like sprints and take it easy uphill, but can still cycle a lumpy 150 miler on a hot summers day and get a great kick out of it.

pawl

Legendary Member
Thanks for taking the time to reply Pawl. I am currently undergoing cardiac rehab, so I shall ask about that program. I was told to wait until 12 weeks post op also. Although they seem pleased with the progress I am making. How does everyone find the cold weather affects them? I'm conscious that my 12 weeks is up just as winter starts and have been told that I will find it more difficult when it's cold.
One thing I forgot to mention was that after discharge in my case after5 days I could exercise using a static bike.I had to explain to the physio what a turbo trainer is, she gave me the go ahead with the proviso to only increase effort and time separately . I did ask if I could use the turbo why not ride on the road.I was told the sternum is split during surgery it has to heal,any sudden twisting motion could cause the sternum to split.
Hope the rehab goes well.

Top Bottom