Cycling and Asthma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just to echo what Scratch says - I'd ask your doc about Seretide. It has a long lasting component which works for 12 hours. I've ditched the Ventolin altogether now and just take one puff before bed-time.

OP
OP
Matthames

Matthames

Über Member
Just had a look at the Seretide, looks like it might be contra-indicated for me so that would be a no no. Basically it is a potentially hazardous interaction with other medications I am taking. Something to do with how they are metabolised in the liver.

Matthames said:
Just had a look at the Seretide, looks like it might be contra-indicated for me so that would be a no no. Basically it is a potentially hazardous interaction with other medications I am taking. Something to do with how they are metabolised in the liver.

There are a few side effects so you are perhaps best avoiding it then.

Personally when I was using the Ventolin inhaler I had a couple of puffs before going out which usually prevented any subsequent attacks during the cycle even on cold days and cleared the airways a bit making the cycling that much easier.

My asthma is well controlled, and I've been doing 3+ hour mountain bike rides 52 weeks a year for 7 years. I really love the winter mornings.

I was diagnosed at age 4 so I've got the triggers pretty well sussed, and cold air is one of them. I don't take Salbutamol/Ventolin with me because the nervous system side effects get me too much.

My techniques are:
Slow the pace, don't attack hills hard - which of course would mean a lot of big cold breaths;
Breathe in through my nose and out the mouth as much as possible - not very practical, but it helps;
If things start to tighten put my gloved hand over my nose and mouth, warm it with my breath, and breathe through it for a couple of minutes. Same effect as a scarf.

Now all I need is to get these damn knees back in line and I can start doing it again :-(

Top Bottom