Cycling and Asthma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
Been out for a ride on my bike for the first time in a while. I have asthma, but is very well controlled which means sometimes I forget to take my inhaler out with me as I very rarely need to use it. Today I forgot to take it with me, big mistake. I know full well that exercise and cold air are a trigger. I managed to make it back home, but then ended up having an asthma attack, which is not really a good time to go searching for the inhaler.

So I now need to remember to take the inhaler with me when ever I go out for a ride. I really should have it to hand all the time.

Anyway, because I cold air and exercise are my main trigger I am wondering is there anything I could possibly do to minimise the chance of having an attack while cycling.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How about putting a spare inhaler in a saddle bag, and just leave it there..
I do the same with a pair of contact lenses.. that way I know I wont forget.

You have the same triggers that I do and its a pain in the ass at this time of year. I always take my blue inhaler with me, and make sure I have my brown one before I go out. In winter I wear a neck buff up over my nose and mouth when I start off so that I'm initially putting warmer air in my lungs so my airways warm up properly. I also breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. Because the air has to go through more passageways through the nose before it hits your lungs its slightly warmer than if it goes straight in through your mouth. It takes practice but improves things once you've mastered it.

davidg

Matthames said:
Anyway, because I cold air and exercise are my main trigger I am wondering is there anything I could possibly do to minimise the chance of having an attack while cycling.

a couple of puffs 10 mins before you go out

I suffer from Asthma - cycling has really got it under control at present - but to avoid the chill to the chest I sometimes use a 'tube scarf' or 'buff' to form a mask over the mouth, it helps warm he air a little - probably filters out some of the larger soot particles as well.
As previously suggested - breathing in through the nose may help.

You could always speak to your GP - they may give you a steriod inhaler.

I have found as my stamina has increased, the asthma has diminished - so keep up the riding!

jay clock

Massive member
is there anything I could possibly do to minimise the chance of having an attack while cycling.
a) wait 10 years. I had athsma and it went away over time
:sad: do lots of cycling. Exercise (strong lungs) can help a lot
c) keep an inhaler in your saddle bag....

I'm asthmatic as well, but now very well controlled.

I'm pretty convinced from personal experience that you should avoid all your triggers (OK, exercise and cold air you can't do too much about) - I'm triggered by many chemicals, as well as pets. If you remove the other things that might affect you, the underlying asthma diminishes. Try moving to 'eco friendly' household cleaners, toiletries etc etc and see if you can notice the difference.

I was wondering if cold air triggered me as well - this is my first year of commuting, so first winter coming up. I did find it awfully hard to breathe (not an attack, but 'heavy breathing') after cycling home for about a week or two earlier this month when it was really cold, but then it went away. Either I had some kind of mild cold as well at the time (Mr Houtkop came down with something nasty shortly afterward) or it's just warmed up fractionally since. Time will tell....

Cahill

new to the board, first post, noticed this topic so.....I've suffered from asthma for 34 years, first diagnosed aged 21. I'm also new to cycing. I love exercise so much I would never allow asthma to limit my enjoyment. I've been out in the pouring rain today and i'm out nearly every night cycling. I find that cycling doesn't bring on an attack, strangely. That said I always carry an inhaler WHEREVER I go can't afford not to. I use my preventative as prescribed and carry the ventolin in my pannier bag. Don't let the condition handicap you in any way. Sorry about the slant halfway through. Bloody computers.

Bandini

ianrauk said:
How about putting a spare inhaler in a saddle bag, and just leave it there..
I do the same with a pair of contact lenses.. that way I know I wont forget.

My asthma is well controlled, but as OP said: cold weather and exercise are triggers.

I always have two puffs before any exercise (I always remember Ian Botham recommending this years ago!) and I have a 'bike only' inhaler in my pannier bag.

Scratch

Über Member
I know eveyone's asthma is different but I used to carry an inhaler with me everywhere and stupidly didn't use a preventative. I've had quite a lot of attacks over the years set of by exercise in the cold weather, or dogs and other allergies.

For the last few years I've been on seretide,

http://nhs.medguides.medicines.org.uk/NHS/medicine.aspx?name=Seretide&use=asthma

I only take one or two puffs a day and only ever have to use my blue inhaler if I have an alergic reaction. I don't carry an inhaler any more and just get on and ride my bike.

Anyway, if anyone finds their preventative not working too well, you could consider the seretide it works very well for me.

AdamBlade

I'm asthmatic and been suffering from a cold for the last week so not been on the bike. Since I started commuting to work on the bike, I have noticed a definite improvement and don't use my ventolin half as much as i used to.

As others have advised, keep an inhaler in your bag/pannier wherever you go. I tend to have at least 2 inhalers on the go at the same time.

My asthma was much worse as a child/teenager, especially when it changed in early puberty and I was still using medication against the "old" type, and suffered until I changed to different inhalers. Back then, I used to have big trouble every year come late autumn. Now, my lungs are clearer than ever that time of year - especially when it's raining and the air is fresh, cold and clear.

Trouble only starts to build if I stop looking after myself - lack of sleep, bad food, late nights generally, spending time in pubs (even when not drinking) somehow take their toll, undermine general resilience and can trigger a worsening of symptoms.

Key thing to do, if you can, is to build up good basic stamina, lung capacity and breathing power - I was advised as a child to start swimming - which I did - and I played the sax and clarinet, had a hoot doing it. Build up capacity and control and you're much better able to cope with occasional downturns as and when they occur. Moreover, there is a possibility that the frequency of episodes goes down too if you're generally in good health.

Good luck.

Top Bottom