Return to cycling and sport in general after extended hiatus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Giantsmountain

Hi All,

Just after some help/guidance on how I should plan my return to training. I've taken a year and a half out of training full-time. some tick-over training as and when I felt like it but not a whole lot as I was just taking a break from everything.

Prior to my break, my training background was 7 years of training full time between national and international level, Come from a rowing background.

When I stopped training I was 110kg and holding an FTP of 412w

Currently, 128kg holding an FTP of 305w so a long way off on both the watts and the weight....

Would like to get to somewhere similar by the end of the year. Not sure how feasible this is but would like to give it a go regardless.

I've tried to look at previous posts and papers on how long it takes to rebuild fitness once you have gone sedentary after previously being elite, however, there is not a whole lot about.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Sharky

Guru
A thought,
Our local University (Canterbury) has a sports lab and is frequently asking for "volunteers" to assist their research.
Try contacting your local universities and see if they can help.

Good luck

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
18 months isn’t really that much. Most of the fitness you had will come back quickly - it’ll only be last few percent that will take the hard work. You don’t mention how old you are but I’m guessing close to 30, in which case you’ve got loads of time.

You’ve obviously got a fantastic engine, and the first bits of weight will be easy to shift, which should be really motivating. (Having been moderately sedentary after a lay-off from running, I was 80kg and my first FTP test 250W; now 72.5kg and 310W.) Do you have a smart trainer and an online training platform like Zwift, Rouvy or IndieVelo?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Giantsmountain

A thought,
Our local University (Canterbury) has a sports lab and is frequently asking for "volunteers" to assist their research.
Try contacting your local universities and see if they can help.

Good luck

Thank you for the suggestion! I have quite a few Universities around me so I'll drop them a message

OP
OP
G

Giantsmountain

18 months isn’t really that much. Most of the fitness you had will come back quickly - it’ll only be last few percent that will take the hard work. You don’t mention how old you are but I’m guessing close to 30, in which case you’ve got loads of time.

You’ve obviously got a fantastic engine, and the first bits of weight will be easy to shift, which should be really motivating. (Having been moderately sedentary after a lay-off from running, I was 80kg and my first FTP test 250W; now 72.5kg and 310W.) Do you have a smart trainer and an online training platform like Zwift, Rouvy or IndieVTh
Thanks for the reply and encouraging words, Currently 24
I've got a Kura direct drive and use it with Zwift. My current plan is to sit in Zone 2 hr and just slowly work the mileage up

Top Bottom